Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:02 AM   #1

Fugi S5100/5500, better clarity then the Canon S1, Kon Min Z2, Nikon coolpix 4800,,, heaven forbid it doesn't have Image Stabilization, what did we ever dobefore,without it?,,, we actually lived, and took pictureswithout it. Imagine if it had IS,nothing couldtouch it!

Newest review here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:50 AM   #2

Well, for starters I should hope its better then the S1, at least in some regards. It was announced 5 months after the release of the S1. You would think some improvements were planned! I suspect the S2 (if there is one) will be that much better then these. But where is the improvment in the LCD? its also only 1.5" and dose'nt rotate???

I don't really agree with you on the IS though, if you have a tripod then yes, but handheld at full zoom there is no way Is does'nt help. I refuse to believe any different. Sometimes I try shutting Is off and the results are like they used to be before I got IS...

Whenever possible, I will by a camera with IS before buying one without. Thats just me though I am known not to have a steady hand :?

Ps.. whats the minumum shutter on these bad boys anyway?
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:51 AM   #3

Read the review all the info's there,,,Oh, andby the way, in the tests, the camera was not even set for 4MP fine mode!,,, Sure ISwould bebetter, and the Fugi has a small fixed LCD, But the EVF is so much better, the zoom speed is just right (& buttons more conveniently located), focusing is better, & faster, especially in lowlight because of the nifty AF assist lamp, shutter lag is less, actually it is IMHO one of the better indoor low light cameras out there (where most people shoot), also noted in the review. Movie mode, just as good, (but no zooming) It is ergonomic,feels, &operates, just right, like a camera should,& "macho looking" in non-glare black with the "bonus" included lens hood/lens adapter. As a former Canon A40 owner, I was trying to make myself like the S1, but the Fugi impressed me more. Almost forgot, the included lens hood/adapter for a fliter/or optional lens is a nice feature.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:06 PM   #4

I agree it sounds like a great camera. However, i did'nt even consider a camera with no IS.
Also, even if the movie mode was as good quality wise as the S1, take away the fact you cant zoom in and out and dont have IS and there is no comparison.

I'm strictly speaking from a video only standpoint. My background is in Film and video and I tell you one of the most prized advancements in hand held video is Optical IS. The fact that you can't zoom in/out is not something that interests me, video was a big consideration when I bought this camera, so for me the video mode is nowhere as good as on the S1..

However, if your not zoomed in, then you really don't need IS at all anyway.. So its not really missing on these cameras. however, if you were able to zoom in/out , I would bet you would here the motor on the recording. The S1 USM is nice and quite and its sound recording is 16mhz vs 12mhz so even though these cameras all have crappy mics, at least thats better on the S1.

Also, what makes the EVF better?
here is what the reviewer said about the EVF "...The S5000's EVF is a 0.33" unit with 115,000 pixels. It's better than the S5000's EVF, and is perfectly usable despite being rather small and suffering from a small amount of video lag and a touch of 'choppiness'. It's not the best EVF we've ever seen, but on a budget model it's by no means the worst!"

how is that better then what they say about the S1 "....he S1 IS features a small electronic viewfinder (EVF) - essentially a 0.33-inch LCD behind a magnifier. The EVF has the same resolution as the LCD screen (114, 000 pixels) and has a good refresh rate, but does exhibit some video lag. It's not brilliant in very low or very bright light, but it's certainly usable, and by no means the worse we've seen!"

Also, keep in mind the LCD on the S1 is actually 115,000 pixels. So if the EVF is the same res as the LCD, then the EVF on the S1 would have to be 115,000 pixels also.
?

Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:53 PM   #5
Administrator

MikDee wrote:
Quote:
Read the review all the info's there,,,Oh, andby the way, in the tests, the camera was not even set for 4MP fine mode!,,,
Actually, it was. This is in both the EXIF information in the test photos (FINE quality is specified in theMaker Notes Section), and you can tell by the file sizes (approx. 1.9MB). Normal Quality mode would have produced file sizes about half that size.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:23 PM   #6

It looks to me like this camera won't accept an external flash. Very strange compromise for an "SLR-like" camera.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:21 PM   #7

That looks like a nice camera. I would have preferred dpreview.com to compare it to the Panasonic FZ3, which is the bellweather for ultra-zooms, (not sure why they didn't do that).

Overall, it looks like a good camera and is likely indicative of the 2005 models...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:29 PM   #8

bellweather of ulra zooms?
can't say I agree with you there.

Perhaps if you had said FZ20.. ;O)
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:04 AM   #9

Larry, I've held & tried the S1, Min Z3, and the S5100,have you? IMHO the Fugi is the only one thatfelt like a real camera, despite the reviews, in the real world it had the best EVF, & LCD, of the three. I was unable to get the S1 to focus clearly at full zoom thru the EVF? found the zoom to be too fast, and the zoomlever awkward to operate being on the front of the camera (on my A40 it's on the back, & worked by my thumb), it has no AF assist lamp (what were they thinking?),and whats with thetinybutton you have to push to move the lever from record to review, very inconvenient. Plus, too many buttons! Personally,I wouldn't buy a camera I didn't like, just because it has IS,,, I actually liked the Min Z3, but again no AF lamp, and a small LCD, but according to the reviews, thepic& video quality being not as good as the Fugi was the downside. Yes, I'd prefer IS if it was on the Fugi!

Here's a Pic taken late this morn from my deck, S5100 4MP Fine, Auto mode, Full 10X zoom (handheld)
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:08 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
MikDee wrote:
Quote:
Read the review all the info's there,,,Oh, andby the way, in the tests, the camera was not even set for 4MP fine mode!,,,
Actually, it was. This is in both the EXIF information in the test photos (FINE quality is specified in theMaker Notes Section), and you can tell by the file sizes (approx. 1.9MB). Normal Quality mode would have produced file sizes about half that size.

Jim,I don't know what you mean? which review?, I'm talking about the dpreview, It was not noted the camera was set to 4MP Fine mode in the tests, it said set to 4MP factory default mode, it defaults to "4MP Normal"