Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:24 PM   #11

What teams are you going to be watching? What country are you from? Anyway...

Based on your stadium pic, you really need an ultra-zoom (10x+ zoom). You won't really be able to capture players with low-zoom or mid-zoom cameras. (Zoom pics will still be hard to take (due to handshake) but that's something that you will have to overcome somehow)...

Ultra-zooms are bigger than ultra-compacts and compacts that you may have seen. They will be a bit bigger and will likely require an external bag. They won't be as big (or as heavy) as SLR or DSLR cameras but they will still be somewhat bigger. Is that size ok with you? Ultra-zooms are really good for sporting events but they are not good for candid pics (eg. taking pics in a restaurant, nightclub, etc) because they are a bit too big.

Sir_Vas wrote:
Quote:
OK, i make some few edits, I want good photo quality, no red eye would be nice.
Most of the ultra-zooms have pop-up flashes so red-eye is less of an issue. I have only noticed a few (something like 5% of the pics) with red-eye on my Canon S1 IS. I think other ultra-zooms will be somewhat similar. Many of these cameras also have red-eye reduction lamps and stuff like that so red-eye isn't a huge problem.

The red-eye is really a problem with ultra-compacts and others who don't have pop-up flashes.

Quote:
The video quality: it's ok if i see what i have filmed , i dont need 640x480 30 fps, it's ok with a lower resolution.

It's seems to be hard to get a little camera with good video quality and good quality of the image, so i take the decision, better image instead of filming quality
If you don't care about video then Panasonic FZ3 (or the more expensive, higher end, and bigger, Panasonic FZ20--which is way over $300) is best.

Canon S1 IS and Panasonic FZ3 are all 3 megapixels... panasonic FZ20 (beyond your budget) is 5 megapixels... If you are going for something around $300, I think you should stick with 3 megapixels. 3MP is the standard for low-end ultra-zooms so it's affordable (if you wait one year, then 4 megapixels may become the standard for low-end ultra-zooms). The 4 megapixels and 5 megapixels are "overpriced" relative to the 3MP ones IMO. Three megapixels is good enough to print 8"x10" without cropping. If you want to print something bigger, you need more than 3 megapixels or have to "fake" the pics by software interpolation or something.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:03 PM   #12

Now i got some more meat on my legs

Im going to watch Inter - MIlan at the San Siro stadium.

The canon 1s IS would be nice for me i think

Thanks for the help
Sir_Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:20 PM   #13

While the Canon S1 is a decent point & shoot ultra zoom, if I had it to do over I would get the Panasonic FZ-3instead with 12 optical zoom instead of 10 & a far superior manual focus mode. In my opinion the S1's is very poorly designed.

As far as the video mode goes on the Canon S1, in fine grade on a 512 mb compact flash card you only get 2 & half minutes of video. Also the zoom mechanism makes a lot of noise on audio track. Perhaps you would find it useful.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:20 AM   #14

Thanks alot!

I think the Canon S1 IS will be the best for me

But i got one question about the Camera!

Can i photo a friend or something from 1 - 2 meters and it will be good quality?

Or is it only a Camera for long distance photos ?

*Edit* Maybe the canon powershot pro s50 is good for me ? You guys got any experience about that camera I think it is a rare camera because just one shop in my country sells it

Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:15 AM   #15

jimr503 wrote:
Quote:
While the Canon S1 is a decent point & shoot ultra zoom, if I had it to do over I would get the Panasonic FZ-3 instead with 12 optical zoom instead of 10 & a far superior manual focus mode. In my opinion the S1's is very poorly designed.
I don't think the panasonic FZ3 has manual focus...only the higher end ones (FZ20, etc) have it I think...
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:21 AM   #16

Have fun with the Inter games

Sir_Vas wrote:
Quote:
Thanks alot!

I think the Canon S1 IS will be the best for me

But i got one question about the Camera!

Can i photo a friend or something from 1 - 2 meters and it will be good quality?

Or is it only a Camera for long distance photos ?
Taking pictures of objects several meters away is ok. Flash is a bit strong but that isn't a big deal and you can work around it....

The only thing about close range photos is that the S1 IS has a fairly high wide angle (38mm). This means less will "fit" into the picture. If you are trying to take an indoor picture in tight space (or a family pic), it isn't that great. You might have to step back a few meters to get everything to fit into the picture.

Quote:
*Edit* Maybe the canon powershot pro s50 is good for me ? You guys got any experience about that camera I think it is a rare camera because just one shop in my country sells it
not sure...
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:31 AM   #17

GreatSivaram Velauthapillai! Thats all i wanted to know

I think i got one last question, is the Diffrence big between 3MP and 4 or 5 MP ?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:51 PM   #18

The difference between 3, 4 & 5 MP.

In terms of area, 5MP represents a 25% increase from 4MP and 66.7% from 3MP. This mathematically means 5% and 8% increase respectively in terms of length and width.

Similarly, 4MP is 33.3% and 5.8% increase over 3MP in area and dimensions respectively.

If you plan to print only up to 8X10, a 3MP camera is fine. But if you want the flexibility of some cropping, a 4-5MP would be better.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:51 AM   #19

Im planning to print :S

Maybe a 4 MP would be better for me....
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:57 PM   #20
Administrator

If you are going to be photos of sporting events, and want to bring your subjects in closer, then there is not substitute for optical zoom.

So, don't think you can buy a 4 or 5 megapixel model with a 3x zoom lens, and make up for it by corpping.

It takes for 4 times the resolution to make it appear that you're using twice as much optical zoom by cropping.

In other words, I'd look at model with higher optical zooms for sports use from high up ina stadium.

BTW, a 3 Megapixel model like the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 can capture just as much detail on a resolution chart compared to some of the 4 Megapixel models (it's lens is very sharp).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote