Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

Hello!

Very nice and intersting site about Digicams

Im going to buy my first digicam!

I got around 300 dollars.

I need a few thingson the camera, the first is that i want a high quality640/480 (or even 800/600 would be nice to). Im going to takephotos from a football-stadium so a need a good zoom because i will sit long andhigh from the pitch

I need good batteryand around 4 or 5 Mpixels..

I have watch some cams, one of them is canon a95 but it's only 30 secounds of filming

*edit* ofcourse i need a big memorystick to

Sir_Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:36 PM   #2

I don't think you can get a recent model for 300 if you count accessories (like memory cards, battery recharger, bag) in the $300.

Canon A95 isn't a zoom camera so I don't think that is the model you should be looking at (assuming you really want to zoom).

Generally, if you go for a camera with decent video ([email protected]) then you will have to sacrifice image quality (other cameras with inferior video may have better still picture quality). So that is something you need to keep in mind.

Another point to keep in mind is that if you zoom far, it is harder to take pictures (due to blurriness caused by camera shake). So you won't necessarily get amazing pics of sporting events from an ultra-zoom camera. That's something to keep in mind...

If you DO go with an ultra-zoom, it is much larger than an ultra-compact or a compact so that is something to think about. Do you want a camera that you can carry in a pocket/purse/whatever? If yes, then you really can't go for a zoom camera...

---------------

Having said all that, I think you should go for an ultra-zoom. An ultra-zoom, to me, is a camera with 10x or more zoom....

Since you seem to care about video, I think the Canon S1 IS is perhaps the best match to your needs. It is an ultra-zoom with [email protected] video, with image stabilization. BUT it is only 3 megapixels so I don't know how badly you want 4 megapixels. (If you can wait, you might want to wait another 4 months or so, until 2005 ultra-zoom models come out--these are likely to have a minimum of 4 megapixels, whereas the low-end ultra-zooms from 2004 are around 3 megapixels).

The main ultra-zoom cameras are offered by Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, and Konica Minolta. So take a look at the high zoom cameras from those companies.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:34 PM   #3

I'll start by admitting I'm a big fan of Nikon cameras, I just have always like the sharpness and the colors they produce.

Right now, the Nikon 5400 has a $200 rebate, making the net cost about $275. For batteries, there is a seller on eBay offering aftermarket EN-EL1s for $14.90 including shipping. I would suggest a 256mb CF card for this camera to start with. I like the Sandisk Ultra II for this camera, a 256mb card will cost you around $28.

So, considering your budget of $300, I really think the 5400 would fit your needs.
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:12 PM   #4
Administrator

Sir_Vas wrote:
Quote:
I got around 300 dollars.

I need a few thingson the camera, the first is that i want a high quality640/480 (or even 800/600 would be nice to). Im going to takephotos from a football-stadium so a need a good zoom because i will sit long andhigh from the pitch
I hate to "burst your bubble", but you're not going to find a camera that's going to give you good photos of a sporting event in a stadium within your budget - - taking memory cards, etc., into consideration.

If you're talking about night games, you'll want the brightest lens you can get, too (otherwise, shutter speeds will be too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake and subject movement). Even with a bright lens, you'll need to use higher ISO speeds (which means you'll have a lot of noise/grain in the images). What's bright the human eye is not to a camera's lens (and a well lit stadium at night is not bright).

Also, the typical 3x, 4x Optical Zoom models are not going to give you enough magnification. So, as Sivaram Velauthapillaipointed out, you'll want an Ultra Zoom model.

I'd read the reviews of popular models listed under the "10-12x Optical Super Zoom" Category in the Best Cameras list to get a better idea of how they compare.

As far as resolution, 3 Megapixels will give you good quality 8x10" prints.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:18 PM   #5

I agree, and I missed the part about night sports, I was trying to figure out what would give the best bang for the buck at $300.

If capturing night sports is something that he really needs, I would think he is going to have to spend at least double (or more) of what he's budgeting.
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:03 PM   #6
Administrator

K6AZ wrote:
Quote:
I agree, and I missed the part about night sports, I was trying to figure out what would give the best bang for the buck at $300.

If capturing night sports is something that he really needs, I would think he is going to have to spend at least double (or more) of what he's budgeting.
Yep -- he didn't say night, but he did say he'd be high up in a stadium (so, he'll want lots of zoom if he wants to actually recognize anyone in the photos). ;-)

If it is at night, the better solution would be something like a Canon EOS-300D or Nikon D70 with a 70-200mm (or greater zoom) f/2.8 lens. This would give him a 35mm equivalent focal range of approx. 300mm on the long end after the crop factor. Of course, this would put him WAY over budget.

But, he may be able to "get by" shooting at ISO 400 with one of the Ultra Zoom models if viewing/print sizes will be kept small, and he uses good noise reduction tools to clean them up some -- taking lots of photos to get some "keepers" (you'll havemotion blur if the subjects are moving much -- even at ISO 400 and f/2.8 in a typical stadium at night).

Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:37 AM   #7

Thanks for you answers

I have did some research about when and how long from the pitch i will sit. Here is a picture of how long i will sit from the pitch http://mrankin.home.cern.ch/mrankin/SanSiro_pitch.jpg, but i will sit in the middle of the stadium not in the corner as the image shows..

I even gor more then 300 dollars to spend on a camera, i got 424,96USD

The game will be played in 15.00 in italy so i think the light will be perfect :-)

Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:21 AM   #8
Administrator

So that you can get closer shots of some of the players, I'd still recommend an ultra zoom model for sports use.

How important are the 640x480 movies to you?

Most models will not allow you to use Optical Zoom while recording movies.

An exception would be the Canon Powershot S1 IS that Sivaram Velauthapillai
mentioned.It's a 3 Megapixel Model.

The Fuji S5100 has a 640x480 movie mode at 30 frames per second, and it's a 4 Megapixel Model, but it won't let you use the Optical Zoom while recording. However, you can set the zoom to the desired length, prior to starting a movie clip.

Another option to look at would be the Konica-Minolta Z3. It's a 4 Megapixel Model with good movie modes, and it does allow using the Optical Zoom while recording.

If movies are not as important, I'd look into a model like the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 (3 Megaixel model with very good image quality and a bright, stabilized zoom lens -- but movies are only 320x240 at 15fps). Or, perhaps one of the Olympus Ultra Zoom Models like the C-765UZ (has 640x480, but15 frames per second).

There are more choices, too. But, I don't know what prices are in your area. As I mentioned before, I would read through the reviews of models in Best Cameras List under the 10-12x Optical Super Zoom Category to help make a decision.

Make sure to read the review conclusion sections carefully. This is where you'll see things like startup time, autofocus speed and reliability, viewfinder useability, cycle times between photos, etc., discussed.

Chances are, most of these will put you over budget, once you factor in the cost of a larger memory card (and movie clips take up a LOT of storage).

If possible, I'd make sure to try out some of the cameras you are considering in a store, to see how optical zoom impacts magnification. That way, you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:49 AM   #9

I think a possible solution might be the MInolta S414, which can be obtained on ebay with shipping for less than $200. Its 4mp & 4 optical zoom, which would yield some decent 8x10s after cropping. It does a decent job at night & takes excellent daytime photos. Rechargable batteries & 30 minute charger for $35. High speed 512mb compact flashcard for $60. After saving a few bucks add a telephoto lense & you have a nice setup, though not a stabilized lense. http://dcviews.com/cameras.htmfor several professional reviews on camera. Its an excellent first camera that will quickly pay for itself in film costs. Photo quality very comparable to Canon S1 ultra zoom if not better because of the capability of cropping.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:15 AM   #10

OK, i make some few edits, I want good photo quality, no red eye would be nice.

The video quality: it's ok if i see what i have filmed , i dont need 640x480 30 fps, it's ok with a lower resolution.

It's seems to be hard to get a little camera with good video quality and good quality of the image, so i madea decision, better image instead of filming quality

Maybe you can easier help me now