Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:45 PM   #1

Hi, a family member has been looking at the 8 Megapixel Prosumer range and asked me for some help in choosing, not knowing to much i recomended the C-8080 as it was recomended to me on this site..

my question is, could the 8080 be classed as the best overall camera in this range or should others be looked at.. as for the types of photos to be taken well i was told "just general out door and afew inside" so - views, family/holiday snaps i guess..

any help would be most welcome
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

I would look hard at the Konica-Minolta A2.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:01 AM   #3

look very good! but in the UK that is just over £100 more than the C-8080 which works out to be about $230 or so more and slightly out of the price range, would you say the is worth an extra £115 ( close to $230)more than the 8080 ?
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:54 PM   #4

The high-end prosumers are a weird bunch. Each of them have their faults and I don't think anything really stands out. I think the Olympus 8080 is perhaps the best but it's really hard to say...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:36 AM   #5

Have you looked at this sight http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
Its Steves the best of the best and its in each range so it might help you.
ring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6

Blaupunkt wrote:
Quote:
Irecommended the C-8080 as it was recommended to me on this site..

my question is, could the 8080 be classed as the best overall camera in this range or should others be looked at.. as for the types of photos to be taken well i was told "just general out door and a few inside" so - views, family/holiday snaps i guess..
Most reviewers give the Olympus 8080 a 'thumbs up' so you probably wouldn't go wrong with that camera - it would be a 'safe bet' provided that it does what you want..

However, it's not one that I would choose for a number of reasons. I don't like the limited zoom range, the tilting LCD display and it's big and chunky. I wasn't that impressed with image quality when looking at sample pictures on this site.

The Minolta A2 recommended is another that I'd eliminated due to the tilting LCD display and masses on dials.

The Minolta A200, on the other hand, is one that I personally have decided on - it's based on the A2 but is better ergonomically, smaller and less dials.

Both the A2 & A200 produce softer (less sharp) images that tend to be on the dull side BUT reviewers have stated that the A2 is as close to dSRL as you can get where dSRL users tend to post process their shots to sharpen then up etc. The reason given for this is that if you start with what the camera produces then you can always add, enhance etc whereas, if you chose a camera that has images that come out processed looking sharp & punchy, then it's likely that you can't put back what been taken away.

The A200 produces much the same image quality as you would expect as theA2 but tests that I have done post processing the image - something I find you have to anyway - have resulted in images that I very happy with. Hence my reason for choosing the A200.

Here's a comparison that I did against the Nikon CP8800 which was the other camera that narrowed my choice down to. Previously, I'd always found the CP8800 to produce sharp vibrant images when compared to the A200

And a macro comparison

Best of luck with your choice.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote