Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm college student trying to find the right camera (and probably asking to much).

I am trying to find a camera:

1. I can carry around (not necessarily in a pocket but not in it's own backpack either)hiking, tourist traveler and so on

2. with good zoom (that's why I looked at the super zoom cameras)

3. good picture quality ( I loved Canon A95 and I used to compare all the othercameras pictures quality with the A95 but I do realize that I can't get everything)

4. video capabilities more like a bonus than a must

I'm really a beginner with photography but I like to think that I will start playing with the manual settings. After a whileof online study time I can say that Iwas impressed with the Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 andPanasonic DMC-FZ20.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:53 PM   #2

The FZ20 is light for its size, but it is quite bulky. Make sure you handle one in a store before considering it. It is an excellent camera, just big. If 3Mp would suit you the FZ3 is stabilized, has a great 12X stabilized Leica lens and is much smaller than the FZ20. All of the FZs are f2.8 all the way to 12X, which is a big advantage over most other super zooms except the Canon S1.

Consider the Z3 over the Z2. Stabilization is a good feature on a long zoom lens.

If you don't think you need stabilization the Olympus C-765 is the most compact super zoom available.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:06 AM   #3

I followed the Best Zoom Cameras (Z3 is not there)

but I did look at the Z3and it seemed that the pictures had indeed some purple fringes which I could detect (the enlarged picture) and to quote steve's review:

"Outdoors it produced nicely saturated images, although some were a bit over-exposed when there were instances of extreme sunlight."

I was aiming for 4,5 mp but that's not the most important part. I think I need a lot of stabilization because I won't be working with a tripod.

Is the Panasonic PZ20 worth the 200$ extra compared with the Minolta (z3)?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Is the Panasonic PZ20 worth the 200$ extra compared with the Minolta (z3)?
In my opinion it is, but it is your money. The Z3 is over a full f-stop slower at full zoom than the FZ20 which defeats much of the advantage of the stabilization. The Z3 doesn't have a focus assist lamp. I like big prints and 5Mp is marginal.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5

Ok. I trust the experts .

I'll probably be ordering it online so I won't get a chance to feelits size. Can I carry it around in field trips or stuff like this?

thanx
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:22 AM   #6

also, any other suggetions I should consider?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7

One more quiestion : Why the Z2 is on the Best Zoom cameras but the Z3 is not?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:53 AM   #8

Pansonic Z3 is there:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Down as DMC-FZ3
u_luv_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:47 PM   #10

If you are going with Konica Minolta, I would actually go for the Z3 instead of Z2. If I'm not mistaken, Z3 has image stabilization while Z2 dos not. That alone will make me pick the Z3 over Z2. (But Z3 has inferior video mode for some reason. Z2 has 800x600 video while Z3 doesn't).

Anyway, I think the best ultra-zooms come from the Panasonic Lumix line. If money is not an issue, or you want something more full featured (larger LCD, flash hot-shoe, etc), then I would go with Panasonic FZ20; otherwise, I would go with Panasonic FZ3. FZ3 is smaller than FZ20.

I would only go for Konica Minolta Z3 (over the Panasonic FZ3 or FZ20) if you want video. You can also look at something like Canon S1 IS if you want video. If you don't really care about video, I would go with a Panasonic Lumix ...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote