Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:14 AM   #11

If I may, if video is a large factor for you, you might be happier with a video camera that will do stills rather than a still camera with video capability.. Just a thought..

Jeff
:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:23 PM   #12

jeff, I own a panasonic pv-gs200, thats the 2.3MP 3ccd mini DV with the Lieca brand lens. Let me tell you, these make horrible picture cameras. That said, My S1 Takes great pictures and also great quality video. As a test, round up the cheapest video cameras with Optical image stabilization.

For the Price and if video is a factor, the S1 is great giving you OIS and letting zoom in/out with USM that can't be piked up by the mic. Also, though the sound on any P&S is'nt the best, it really is"nt on a camcorder either. However the S1 uses 16bits mono instaed of 12 like most cameras. That will give you a slight increase in quality.

Anyhow, I bought the pv-gs200 because it was the smallest 3ccd camcorder, but I have since given up on taking any pictures with it and will never invest in an SD card for this purpose.
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:15 PM   #13

I totally agree with lenscaplarry. there's no comparison between stills from camcorders and a digicam.

Now I would like to ask, besides the IS why should pick the canon s1 3.2 mp over the fuji 5100 with 4mp , I narrowedit down to two since finally I dropped the minolta z3, It's just not apealing to me.

thanks
fotoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:27 PM   #14

well, since its between these two cameras now, I would direct you over to this thread. where right now this discussion is under way.

the difference between 3.2 and 4mp is not that significant, There is a chart somwhere on line that gives you the actual increase in % and its very small jump to 4mp.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...49&forum_id=87
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote