Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:20 PM   #11

If you ask me, I'd say the FZs are the best cameras for their price and features, with the exception of the movie mode.

The only problem that I have with the FZs are the bulky size. But that's a personal preference. If you don't mind the size, then I'd say by all means go for it.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:29 PM   #12

They are really hard to frame in limited light. It is hard to see expressions and such to get just the right shot. It has only electronic viewfinders – EVF and LCD. Neither of them gain up in lower light. You might find that a nuisance.

Otherwise the FZ series are good general purpose cameras. An inexpensive flash unit can make a world of difference for your indoor pictures, so the FZ20 has a big advantage there.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:33 PM   #13

:?Isthe picture underneath your name really you? Is that the way you really look? I hope not but it looks interesting to be polite.
sammynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:36 PM   #14

That is one ugly looking picture. Sorry to be impolite.:G:lol:
sammynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:51 PM   #15

sammynyc wrote:
Quote:
:?Is*the picture underneath your name really you? Is that the way you really look? I hope not but it looks interesting to be polite.
Nope, I look worse that the little fellow .

It's a cute baby (DIGITALLY ENHANCED), and you should see the actual gif file with blinking eyes. :blah:
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:06 PM   #16

point taken, besides here in canada the FZ20 costs $300 more then the S1, So, I could literally buy a video camera as well for that much.

I do agree the FZ20 is a nicer picture camera, there is no argument there. but for $300 dollors more there should be no doubt that it is..
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:23 AM   #17

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
point taken, besides here in canada the FZ20 costs $300 more then the S1, So, I could literally buy a video camera as well for that much.

I do agree the FZ20 is a nicer picture camera, there is no argument there. but for $300 dollors more there should be no doubt that it is..
The one that competes against the Canon S1 IS is the FZ3 (not the FZ20). FZ3 is comparable to the S1 IS and has nearly the same features. FZ3 is pretty much the same as the FZ20 (without the larger LCD, more megapixels, and things like flash hot-shoe).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:12 PM   #18

sivaram, thats the point I have been trying to make for weeks. However, whenever you ask people which sould you get, they always reccommend the FZ20 to you.

My choice to get the S1 over the FZ3, was an easy one for me to make. But I respect that others have gone the other way.

but If you gots the money and don't mind a bigger camera, get the FZ20 its definetly got more pro's then Cons...
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:09 PM   #19

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
sivaram, thats the point I have been trying to make for weeks. However, whenever you ask people which sould you get, they always reccommend the FZ20 to you.

My choice to get the S1 over the FZ3, was an easy one for me to make. But I respect that others have gone the other way.

but If you gots the money and don't mind a bigger camera, get the FZ20 its definetly got more pro's then Cons...
Yeah... when I was evaluating what to buy, it basically came down to FZ3 vs S1 IS. The FZ20 was totally out of my price range. If I had looked at the FZ20, I would have compared it to mid-end low-zoom prosumers like Canon G6 or something. If you want the best ultra-zoom, and price isn't really an issue, then the FZ20 is worth considering. But if you are at the $300-$400 range then FZ20 is way out of the range..
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote