Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:11 PM   #1

Hi,
I am planning to buy my first digital camera. I am a beginer in photography. I would be using the camera mostly for family oriented purposes (pictures of my 2 month old daughter and so on). Lot of indoor pictures and some outings.

Since i am planning to buy only one camera and will be sticking with it for some time, i thought having a higher zoom and 4MP and above will be worth it. I am not particular in having it as very small/compact camera. Picture quality is very important.

From what i read in the forums, i like Panasonic FZ20 and FZ15. But seems panasonic cameras are not very popular and not avilable in all stores. Even amazon.com does not carry it. Is there any reason why they are not popular.

I am willing to shell out 100$ etc for FZ20 if it is worthwhile. Can u please guide me on this front also.

EDIT: Sorry i meant 100$ extra for FZ20 compared to FZ15.

For family oriented pictures, is there any reason normal zoom cameras will be better than higher zoom cameras?

thanks for ur guidance,
Suresh
46343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:25 PM   #2

I don't know if "100$" was a typo, but the FZ20 will cost $500-600.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:22 PM   #3

I read it that the FZ20 is £100 more than the FZ15 and he's not sure whether it's worth the extra.

Sorry dunno - only that they receive very good reviews.

K x
LittleKezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:33 PM   #4

46343 wrote:
Quote:
From what i read in the forums, i like Panasonic FZ20 and FZ15. But seems panasonic cameras are not very popular and not avilable in all stores. Even amazon.com does not carry it. Is there any reason why they are not popular.
I think it's because Panasonic wasn't really into cameras before. They have only released good cameras recently (I would say the last 2 years or so). In contrast, companies like Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and others have been releasing good cameras for decades (I'm counting film cameras as well).

Quote:
I am willing to shell out 100$ etc for FZ20 if it is worthwhile. Can u please guide me on this front also.
If you want to know the diference between FZ3 and FZ20, I guess the main thing is that the FZ20 is more oriented towards amateur photographers and has some higher-end features. For example, the FZ3 doesn't have a flash hot-shoe. Other than stuff like that the FZ20 is simply a higher-end version. For instance, FZ20 has larger LCD (2" vs 1.5") and more megapixels (5MP vs 3MP). FZ20 is also larger than FZ3...

If you want a camera that is more oriented towards amateur photographers or one with slighly more features, I think the FZ20 is best. Otherwise, if you are tight on cash, or if you just want it for general usage, I think FZ3 is ok...

Quote:
For family oriented pictures, is there any reason normal zoom cameras will be better than higher zoom cameras?
This is a highly debatable point. I personally think the low-zooms are better than ultra-zooms for all pics where you don't zoom much. Anyway, the only key disadvantage of ultra-zooms is that they have smaller sensors than low zoom cameras. This means that ultra-zooms will likely have more noise than low zooms at high ISOs. Low zooms may also have lower wide angle (which is good for tight pics/landscapes) but this depends more on the specific camera in quesiton.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:14 PM   #5

Sorry. I meant 100$ extra for FZ20 compared to FZ15

regards
Suresh
46343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:20 PM   #6

This ONLY disadvantages are as follows:

No gain-up on the EVF/LCD
Poor video mode

Now, I own an FZ10 and the movie doesn't matter to me since it's a novelty. If I want a video I'll get a video camera.

The FZ-series is really the best super-zoom series. For only family shots I'd get something else but it is my opinion it's the best all-around camera. Plus, the Leica lens is hard, if not impossible to be in that price range.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:40 AM   #7

I like video on a camera. taht if I wanted video i'd get a video camera stuff is nonsense. personally I guess i'm looking for a total convergence of mediums. If its technically possible, why not? I mean my video camera takes crappy pictures, but my picture camera takes decent video.. which do you think I'm going to take when I want both a video and picture camera in one??? And those situation do exist in my life.

Anyhoo, its a personal opinion, but don't rule out that others disagree strongly..
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:44 AM   #8

Hi Suresh

I was in the same situation as you , dont know a lot about photography had a little Richoh film camera before which has served me well . But I did some research and read the reviews and ended up buying the FZ20 . What can i say other than I am very happy , I have two young boys and taking pictures is now a breeze ,especially when there running around playing footy etc I can now effortlessly zoom in and capture the moment.

As for the distribution of the camera , I personally reckon Panasonic have been caught on the hop with the run away success of the FZ line , also there does seem to be a bit of snobbery in certain camera shops that it isn't a traditional camera company . I did wonder about this at first , but then came to the conclusion that it is after all an electrical device , and Panasonic certainly have more respect in that field , just look at there video cameras & tv's etc , the fact that they have gone to Leica one of the best optical companys to come up with a design to marry to there electronics body makes perfect sense , and for me the results speak for themselves.

Go for it you won't be disappointed , I wish I'd done it ages ago.

Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:46 AM   #9

I have an FZ20 as well. I think it is a great camera! As far as family photo's, if you shoot indoors, the hot shoe for an external flash is invaluable. That is what swayed me to the FZ20 from the FZ15.
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:33 PM   #10

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
I like video on a camera. taht if I wanted video i'd get a video camera stuff is nonsense. personally I guess i'm looking for a total convergence of mediums. If its technically possible, why not? I mean my video camera takes crappy pictures, but my picture camera takes decent video.. which do you think I'm going to take when I want both a video and picture camera in one??? And those situation do exist in my life.

Anyhoo, its a personal opinion, but don't rule out that others disagree strongly..
Like I said, it doesn't matter to me, I didn't say it doesn't matter to everyone.

It's not that the video is bad, just the Canon S1 IS is really good. I'd take the FZ unless video is of the utmost importance. THe Pana will take better pictures, the Canon better video. Take your pick.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote