Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

Bought my first cam about 5 years ago. Fuji Finepix 1.2 mega pixs. Things have changed since then, so what is best for my needs? I like to just point and shoot for normal things. I have a passion for collecting small model cars and like to post these pics on my user forum. read lots of reviews and had 3 cams in my hand tonight which i did not bring home after reading reviews, glad i did not, the snag is all reviews have the good and bad and put me off a bit, but thats a bit stupid as my cam i have i allways thought was good enough.:|
Bill50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2

In order for us to help you, we're going to need more information. What's your price range? How large do you want to print pictures? Are movies important? Anything you can give us is useful. Just to throw out a couple of ideas: the Canon SD300, the Sony W1, the FX7, the Canon A85, the Nikon 5200.

Best of luck with your search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:04 PM   #3

Thanks Jack,

Price rangs say 150 UK pounds, not into printing apart from the odd 1 or 2. Ease of use and decent pics is what i want.
Important is an all round camera idiot proof is best way to describe it.:?:
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:18 PM   #4

Jack provides some good ideas on things you should be thinking/saying (eg. price? movie important? how large of a print size? etc)... I would add the following to his/her thoughts...

I think you should first figure out the size that you want. I like to classify things into 'ultra-compact', 'compact', 'larger than compact/SLR-like' and 'SLR'. For instance, if you really want to carry the camera at all times and want to carry it in a purse/pocket/etc then I would look at ultra-compacts only. And so on...

Then I think you should figure out how large you want to print, and how much cropping you are going to do. This will dictate the megapixels you need. For example, most people print average quality 8"x10" with 3 megapixels (without any cropping).

After all that, I would say that you should narrow it down based on price.

Based on your interest in small models, I guess you need something with good macro or short-range performance. You probably also want a camera with good flash (smaller cameras tend to have weaker flashes than larger ones).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:47 PM   #5

Ok,
I am not that bothered about the size of the cam, my old one is quite chunky by todays standards so its not a problem. Good all round one and as last thread said a good macro. Price range is 300 us dollars. Was thinking myself about the Fugi Finepix E500 or something near that if it helps anyone here. Samsung any good? saw one quite cheap today, a 430 model i think.:|