Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:52 PM   #1

Going to buy my 1st camera, and planning to spend up to $500. What do you recommend? I'm actually considering the "10-12X Optical "Super" Zoom" or "5-7 Megapixel Enthusiast" ones, as I want not only a point&shoot but also a camera which permits me to learn about photography... Indeed, I've started thinking about buying a Sony P150 (I used to operate lots of DSC's before), but changed my mind after reaching Steve's and DPReview websites... Well, what do you say? Please, add information about the accessories I should buy with ok?

Thanks in advance,
Edi Venturin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:39 PM   #2

You would do well to look at the Panasonic FZ series (3, 15, 20), which have a fast 12x zoom with image stabilisation. You could also look at the Minolta Z3 as well. If you aren't interested in image stabilisation, you could also look at the Fuji 5100 and Olympus 765 - or was it the 675, or maybe it was the 567. Oh well, you can find it in the reviews.....

The only accessories you need to begin are a higher-capacity memory card and a case. Also a good idea is to get a second battery(ies), but you don't have to have these to really get started.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:24 PM   #3

PhilR,
Thanks for your attentive answer... Indeed, I'm impressed with the cost+benefits the S5100 could offer me.... I've actually spent hours reading about these equipments you've just mentioned... But... The problem is, I really do not know if I need IS... What do you think?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:35 PM   #4

Are you referring to AS??

Yes you need it, especially when shooting at 12x Zoom. And for those pics in low light without flash, or other slow shutter pics, the AS will be a great friend.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:47 PM   #5

AS?
I'm referring to Image Stabilization....
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:02 PM   #6

Edi Venturin wrote:
Quote:
PhilR,
Thanks for your attentive answer... Indeed, I'm impressed with the cost+benefits the S5100 could offer me.... I've actually spent hours reading about these equipments you've just mentioned... But... The problem is, I really do not know if I need IS... What do you think?
The way I look at it - one doesn't *need* IS, but it is a really nice thing to have, and can make a great difference at times. Given that it really doesn't cost any more to get a camera w/IS (IOW they can be found in many different price ranges), why not just buy a camera w/IS and just use it when you need it. After all, you might not always use IS, but if you buy a camera without it, you will never get the chance....

Nothing against the Fuji - I have several Fuji's and they have always performed admirably. However, I did purchase an FZ3 specifically because it has IS, as I intend to use it at high zoom levels....

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote