Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:29 AM   #1

As a first entry level into digital photography I am looking at a Fuji FINEPIX 2800Zoom 2.1 Megapixels, 6 x zoom, 128 meg smart card, USB cable, 4 Nimh batteries etc.

I want to take photos of my family as well as my interest in classic cars like my 1970 LC GTR Torana. 6x4 & 10x8 photos would be the norm for me and I would like a bit of flexibility in creativeness.

My 24 year old Fujica is still working well but I would like to get into digital photography and do a course at our local TAFE College to enhance the use of the digital camera.

Are there any other cameras that would suit me considering I am on a budget and do not have an open cheque book.

Thanks and regards..............Barry

LC70GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:57 AM   #2

Hi Barry,

For an entry level inexpensive camera, I really like the Olympus D-395. It's a 3 megapixel camera (this day in age I think that is the minimum that you would want). It has a macro mode, and it does shoot really nice pictures. I bought this camera for my wife as an entry level camera, and it has worked well. Right now the street price here in the States is around $125 USD, and I'm sure you would be able to find it for a comparable price in Australia. The Olympus 128mb XD card goes for $30 USD here, so I'm sure you should be able to find that for a comparable price as well in Australia.
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:23 AM   #3

I am assuming that someone is offering you a good deal on a used camera since the Fuji FinePix 2800 has not been sold widely for a long time. I helped a friend buy one well over a year ago. It had been on the market for a long time before that.It was replaced by the 3800 and then the ... If the person offering to you is asking for less than 150 dollars (US) for the camera and all accessories together, OK. It has a good (6X optical) zoom and takes decent pictures. If they are asking for more than that, I would consider getting instead a new camera like the Canon PowerShot A75. It gives you lots of room to grow with scene and manual options, takes not bad pictures, and uses cheap rechargeable AA batteries and CF cards.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:03 AM   #4
Baz

Hello Barry, Baz here..As others have said The Fuji 2800 is a discontinued camera. But it is an excellent camera. I used it a few years ago, before getting the Fuji 602. After looking back to the images from the 2800, I dont think the 602 images are much better.

If it's a good price, go for it...

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:29 AM   #5

Thanks to K6AZ, Robbo and Baz.

As I can see by the replies, I shouldn't pay too much for this camera being only 2.1 Megapixels and probably 2-3 years old. Could be more.

I am limited by a budget as my family come first, then my car and then the needs for a camera.

Start of a new era for this old fella and into the world of digital photography.

Thanks again.....................Barry,
LC70GTR is offline   Reply With Quote