Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:02 AM   #1

I wanted to know what does D70 do more than *ist DS except the the continious shots speed. I like to do night photography and indoor potraits, with and without flash. Good White balance adjustment capabilities and also good skin tones are important to me. Since i am not looking at very high end lenses and will mostly use kit lens and maybe one extra lens, the general idea that pentax lense choice is limited is not important to me.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:21 AM   #2

Regarding pentax lens choice, I believe the k-mount lens will fit on the DS, whichmeans you will have tremendous access to relatively inexpensive 2nd hand pentax lenses.

Curious as to why the Canon 20D is not on your radar, as for a few more $'s, it's a big step up.

I'm curious to see what others have to say, because perhaps the *ist DScould become the underated camera of the year based on price point (I'm seeing a street price in the $800 range).
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:44 AM   #3

Its a huge huge jump. At reliable shops DS is 844$, D70 1000$ and EOS 20D 1400$. There are fly by night operators giving at 1200$ but thats too risky. I do not have access to a full review, of the DS. Most people i have asked say that flash underexposure and overexposure is the only proble, they have faced resst everything is near pefect.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:16 PM   #4

Yes, your right, it is a big jump with the price of an *ist DS falling so rapidly. I'm wondering why there is no user review available online, considering they are already selling in the stores.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:41 PM   #5

I checked dcresource/dpreview and steves. none of them have a review . Looks like its in the list of backlogs! OR maybe the reviewrs think its too insignificant a camera to review!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:16 PM   #6

I doubt they would think the DS is insignificant. Perhaps Pentax is slow to lend the reviewers a cameara, or perhaps the reviewers are backlogged with cameras to review.

One thing's for sure, the longer you wait, the more the price comes down. Then some other manufacturer announces a new model that creates a whole new need.

I thought I was going to really need a Minolta digital SLR.I was hoping Minolta would come out with a camera similar to the Digital Rebel, but perhaps an all round better model with slightly higher price tag than the Rebel.

Instead, Minolta, in my mind, produced a poor camera and chose to hype the image stabilization built into the body. To me, image stabilization is not that important, and I certainly would not buy an overpriced camera that has poor reviews in other areas just to get image stabilization. I think Minolta really blew it.

I also think the Evolt is a questionable camera. Makes me wonder about the manufacturers: What were they thinking? Do they actually know what photographers want? If they sponsoreda forum like this and asked forhonest opinions, they'd save themselves time and money.

I never heard anyone say that image stabilization is an important issue.To me, the issue is always the same about cameras: excellent image quality, excellent ergonomics, fast, responsive, good battery life.

Right now I would really like a Canon 20D, but the high price tag is holding me off. By time the 20D drops into my price range, there will probably be other cameras announced that make the 20D seem less interesting.

I guess its like a swim in the pool. At some point, you just take the plunge!