Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:14 AM   #1
jrs

It's down to these two. The price difference is pretty much irrelevant to me, and yes, I've figured in the extra cost of the xD media and the need for rechargeable AAs for the Canon. A relative has the C-60 and loves it. I'm wondering if the extra megapixel over the Canon is worth the hassle of recharging the Olympus battery all the time and one day needing it and finding it out of power. The prints I've seen from both cameras look pretty good, but I have to say, the Olympus shots seemed a little bit better. If there was no difference in picture quality, I'd go for the Canon - it's got better ergonomics, that swivel screen, cheaper media and better battery options, but Ihear that the red-eye is pretty bad. On the other side, I've read tepid reviews of the Olympus C-60. Keeping in mind this is mainly for snapshots of the kids to send to relatives via e-mail, with the occasional 8x10 printout for exceptional shots, which camera should I get??? I'm deadlocked! Any insights/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2

I own the A95 and can tell u it takes great pictures,I really like the camera, it has its weakness, red eyes being one(like most compact camera btw)and slow focus in dim light(tho I don't notice it), but I think its a great camera. Here are some pictures I have taken with the camera, http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html

As for the C60, I haven't really heard anything about it until today, but since your friend has one, I'd suggest you ask him if u can borrow it for a day, take many pictures so that u get an idea of what the camera feels like and afterwards u can look at the images if they really please u. From what I have read, I noticed a few details which may be minor for you, but which could also be bad points about it, no custom white balance limited to 4 seconds shutter speed in shutter priority and 8 seconds in manual. On the other hand, it seemed that the pictures had even less compression than the Canon, in JPEG mode of course. Here is a review of the C60: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml

In many ways both cameras have similar controls, I'm not sure how important manual controls are for you tho.

Well I hope I managed to enlighten you a bit.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:37 PM   #3
jrs

Thanks for your input. I have read all the available reviews, and they all basically say the C-60 is good but not great; however, it seems that it's being considered in the realm of 6-MP cameras, not all cameras, including 5-MPs. As I said, I'll mostly be taking incidental snapshotsof my kids with this - I'm not replacing any of my (3) 35mm SLRs for landscapes and serious portraits and such. Thus, redeye becomes more of an issue (slight advantage Olympus) but so does pick-up-and-run to the soccer-match convenience (advantage A95 and its long NiMH battery life). C-60 test shots I've seen show slightly more and sharper detail in portrait shots than similar test shots from the A95... hence my dilemma.

I have used the C-60 a few times and definitely feel that the A95 is easier and more comfortable to use both in terms of ergonomics and menu navigation,etc. I think the C-60's being discontinued because it has gone from about$400 a few months ago to less than $300 online.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:54 PM   #4
jrs

One last shot here before buying.From what I've seen, the Olympus C-60 (6MP) produces somewhat better (sharper, less digital-looking) indoor flashsnapshots of people (kids) than the Canon A95, but has abatterythat needs to be chargedoften andtakes expensive xD cards.The A95 has better ergonomics, much better battery options, cheaper (CF) media,and that nifty flip/swivel lcd screen, but has a more pronounced red-eye problem. The camera I buy will mostly be used for informal/incidental snapshots of my kids to send to relatives via e-mail, with the occasional 5x7-8x10 print in exceptional cases. All told (media cards, batteries, etc.), the price is about even.

I have long been a photography buff and own 3 very nice 35mm SLRs.The digital point-and-shoot won't replace those for serious stuff, but I'm tired of dropping$7-$12 every time I finish a roll, only to find that only a few of my picturescame outas I planned. I'm also sick of storing boxesof4x6 pictures of the back of my son's head orpeoplethat closed their eyesjust before theshutter closed. That said,if the digital 4x6s don't closely approximate thesharpnessand overall quality of my 35mm prints, I will be unhappy (advantageOlympus C-60). On the other hand, I'll be equally ticked-off if I pick up my camera and run out the door to my son's soccer match, only to find that the camera battery is out of power (advantage A95).

If anyone can come up with a definitive up or down oneither of these cameras, I would be muchobliged. I'm deadlocked... and I'm ready to flip a coin.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:29 PM   #5

Well, both A95 and C60 will yield photo quality results when printing at up to 5x7. If you print at 8x10, the results should be excellent with both cameras, with a slight advantage to the C60, tho that advantage won't be noticeable in normal situation, you'd need to be less than 6" close to the picture to maybe see the difference.

One advantage the C60 has over the A95 in terms of batteries is if you store the camera for 1 month, the C60 will have nearly as much battery power as before, while the A95 will have gone down considerably. In either cases, I'd suggest using 2 sets of batteries to prevent some unfortunate event such as batteries dying on you. Although u can always use alkalines with A95 I'd always suggest using a spare set(its more environnement friendly).

If you want to see the quality of prints you can get, I suggest you take one of my picture and print it at 8x10, make sure u take the fullscreen versions.

As for the sharpness of pictures of the C60, well I'd say the difference is not big enough... And you can always sharpen after.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:46 PM   #6
jrs

Thanks, Nicolas. I really like the idea of using the rechargeable AAs, and I've read that in an A95, the rechargeables last longer than most any other digicam battery option. I'd also like to get in the habit of using AA rechargeables for everything that takes them around the house, especially the kid's toys.

That said, the C60 battery is supposed to outlast most other proprietary lithium-ion batteries.

I am, for better or worse, one who looks very closely at photos. I've seen real-life drugstore4x6 prints from both cameras and, I have to say, the flash snapshots taken with the C60 were a little bit better. Not much, but noticeable to a picky eye like mine. Natural light photos were equal in sharpness, and the A95 seemed to produce better colors. I know that thereare probably settingsyou can usetoproducebetter A95, but I was trying to look at worse case scenarios.

I think that the A95 is a superior design. For me, it comes down to slightly better photos (C-60) vs. much better battery life (A95). I'll post on my decision, if I can ever make it...
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:49 PM   #7

For the battery life... according to imaging ressource, the C60 will last for 108 minute in record mode with LCD on. On the other hand, in the same conditions, the A95 will last for 184 minutes with 1600mAh batteries. Nowdays its quite hard to find 1600mAh batteries, I'd say u can get between 2300 and 2500 MUCH easier, so if u take 2400 as a sample, it means 50% more power, so technically it should last about 276 minutes, which means roughly 2½ times longer than the C60.

As for your test, I suggest you make a test that u print at 8x10, because then only u will see the difference between megapixels and also because its the largest size you could print. At 4x6 or 5x7, your pictures will show no more pixelisation than film prints. I also wouldn't advise to use flash pictures as an indicator since the cameras have an integrated flash and it doesn't really give youa good idea of what its capable of, since those flash are usually not too good.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:36 PM   #8

If you don't mindxd media then you should look at the Fuji E550. It whips ass on the Olympus, is much faster and takes better video as well as pictures. I'd have one I I did not mind a bit more bulk. It uses AAs and comes with a charger. I'd have one over the A95 too.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:05 PM   #9

f2benny wrote:
Quote:
If you don't mindxd media then you should look at the Fuji E550. It whips bottom on the Olympus, is much faster and takes better video as well as pictures. I'd have one I I did not mind a bit more bulk. It uses AAs and comes with a charger. I'd have one over the A95 too.

Hi benny, "I'd have one over the A95 too." You mean the Fuji E550?

If so, Why would you buy the Fuji E550 over the Canon A95?

I wantto know because I too and making a decision on these two digital camera's.

Fuji E550 or the Canon A95. :?

View My postHERE

Richard

Kobinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:01 PM   #10
jrs

Well, I printed 8x10 samples from review sites for both cameras, and the differences are there but slight. I alsohada 5x7 crop from a A95 shot printed from the local drugstore, and it looked very good, but I wasn't blown away. However, coming from the 35mm world, I might not be blown away by digital point-and-shoots for a while.

Actually, a 5x7 print comparison gave the A95 the edge over the C60 for color saturation and even detail.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the A95. The differences in resolution were negligible compared to other features I liked on the A95. Thanks to all here for the input. It was helpful. I'll try to stay up to date here.