Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:04 PM   #1

OK all you digicam techies, I need your expertise. I'm torn between the Canon Powershoot S500 & the Fuji E550. I'm leaning towards the Canon because I have a Canon i70 printer that has Bubble Jet Direct capability and so does the Canon camera. I kind of like the idea of bypassing the PC to print. The i70 printer does not have PictBridge so I would have to go through my PC to print from the Fuji.

So, which one would you buy?

Dave from VA
DC Pattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:40 PM   #2

Bump
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:02 PM   #3

Come'on, someone must have some insight on these two popular cameras.

Dave from VA
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:08 PM   #4

I think you should pick the camera that has the best pic quality and features... and then worry about the printer connection.

Here is a side by side comparison of the two.

The Fuji has more manual controls (eg. shutter priority, aperature priority, manual focus, etc), bigger LCD, and so on. The Canon is physically smaller. I would say that the Canon A line (eg. A95, A85, etc) is more of a competitor to the Fuji E550 than the S500.

If you care about compactness then the Canon is better (you might also want to look at something like Canon SD300, which is "inferior" but smaller than S500; you also would want to look at the Sonys and Panasonics, which I think have some of the best ultra-compact cameras (eg. Sony W1, Panasonic FX7, etc))... otherwise (if you don't care about size at all), the Fuji has way more features and is better IMO...

NOTE: everything I said is about features and not necessarily image quality--I'm not sure about image quality...

So to sum up, the Canon S500 competes against smaller, ultra compact cameras... the Fuji E550 competes against slightly larger, compact, cameras like the Canon A95.

Since I care about manual features, I would go with Fuji E550 over Canon S500 BUT I would probably pick Canon A95 over Fuji E550 (have to look more deeply)... However, if you are looking for a smaller camera then the S500 is obviously better than the larger E550 (but I would also look at other small cameras like Canon SD300, Panasonic FX7, Sony W1, Sony P150, Canon S70, etc)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote