Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:16 PM   #1

Need camera to take photos of clothing with graphics/text on them.

To be posted on our web store, so high rez not important.

Hot shoe is a must.

Should I go for an interchangable lens SLR (maybe an older 2,3, or 4 mp camera) or something like a G3, G5, Coolpix 5000 or 5400.

We have been using a Canon s400, but just can't get the professional results we need.

Thanks for your suggestions

Derek
spence0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:28 PM   #2

The DSLR would be more pleasant to work with in a studio setting. I don't know what the used market is like in lenses as most people keep their good lenses to move to their new camera.

You should get good results from an older G series – even the G1 had 2048 X 1536 pixels and a hot shoe. You can probably find one of those used in good condition. The Nikons both look great for your purposes as well.

I honestly don't think you will see a big difference in flash photography among prosumer cameras as long as you use an external flash. The dedicated units are easier to use that automatic units, so you might look into the flash before you decide on the camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:41 PM   #3

a few responses on another site got me thinking about some lighting equipment.

I wonder if our money is better spent now on lighting equipment or abetter camera/flash.

Both would be the correct answer, I know.

What do you think?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:12 PM   #4

Well, with an external flash you can get a diffuser or, for example, a gaget like the Lumiquest 80/20 bounce system that makes a tremendous difference in lighting. If all you're doing is shooting products for a website, and if you DON'T want to set up a "studio" with , for example, Alien Bees external strobe lights, and softboxes etc etc a hotshoe flash may be enough for what you need (and a lot less bulky and will work when you're taking pictures of your kid's halloween costume or your great grandfather's birthday party).

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:21 PM   #5

As I said...

The photos will be ONLY for the web and low rez.

Will I get better results with an old workhorse like a Kodak DCS 520 opposed to something new in the 500 dollar range? Both using a speedlite of course.

To create studio lighting to properly photograph clothing (on a display rod) indoors will cost me what exactly? On the low end...

Thanks

Derek

Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:30 PM   #6

If you already have a DSC520 or have a place you can pick up a good one used at a decent price it would probably be a better camera for what you are doing than a current $500 digicam.

Lighting is important. My daughter set up some halogen worklights from Home Depot and was quite happy with the results. Since you have time to experiment, remote strobes are inexpensive and can give good results. That is the approach you would have to take with your current camera if it doesn't do a pre-flash for metering – some do. In that case you could only use lights like halogens.

You don't have to spend a lot on lighting if you use a little imagination. Remote strobes and halogen lights aren't very expensive, and either should be fine for fabrics and such. For people you need stands with umbrellas or reflectors, but I don't think that is necessary or even beneficial for what you are photographing. You just need some lights to give the product some depth.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:42 PM   #7

We actually tried halogen work lights from Home Depot, but I felt the color temperature they produced did more harm than good.

There are a bunch of DCS 520's with extremely low mileage (as low as 210 actuations) in my local area, so I'll look into that as well. This does not include any lenses though.

As business improves, we may start hiring local models so lighting then will be extremely important. At that point in time we may just hire a photographer to do a photoshoot every few weeks and leave it to the professionals.