Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:26 PM   #1

:??:??Hello everyone and happy new year to all. I wish everyone lots of success, wealth, happiness, and most important good health. My question is that I am deciding between the Panasonic FZ20 and the Nikon 8800. I know there is a price difference between the two but that is not really important to me. My main concern is the quality of the image in general and in particularthe ability to take pictures at very low light without noticeablenoise.

I saw the images of the Nikon 8800 and I was blown away by how beautiful the images are. I also think the images of the Panazonic FZ20 are great too.The Panasonic has 5 megapixels while the Nikon has 8 megapixels which I don't really know if it matters significantly in terms of how it impacts the image quality.

I like the fact that the Panasonic contains a Leica lens but the quality of the Nikon lens is, according to what Iread, of the highest quality materials and specifications. What you do you think?

Has anyone seen a side by side comparison of the images producedby the Nikon 8800 and Panasonic FZ20 especially images taken inside buildings in very low ambient light? What do you think?Are the imagequality close or different? Is it worth it spending more money for the Nikon 8800? Please help. Thank you.
sammynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:32 AM   #2

I asked myself these same questions when I was looking for a new camera. I looked at all the 8Mp cameras and came to the conclusion that if I was willing to go there, spend the extra couple $$ and get a DSLR such as the Nikon D70 or the Canon EOS Digital rebel. The answer then became quite simple for me. I wasn't willing to spend the extra money and chose the FZ20. For me, it was the best of all worlds with only minor shortcomings. Read Steves' review of the camera, it's dead on from my week of experience with it.

:| Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:52 AM   #3

Pictures taken inside a building with ambient light will come out about the same with either camera at full wide. In telephoto you will be able to handhold a lot more shots with the FZ20. The 8800 is almost 2 f-stops slower at full zoom than the FZ20, which obviates most of the advantage of the stabilization. The stabilization is rated at 3 f-stops, but some people think that might be a little too generous.

The number of pixels become a factor if you make large prints. If you have a large format printer an 8Mp camera will give you a 13 X 19 around 180 PPI. That is very good resolution for most pictures. A 5Mp camera would come in around 135 PPI for the best possible crop, and that is below the capability of most printers. You wouldn't likely see any difference printing an 8 X 10 unless you cropped a lot.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:09 PM   #4

When you look at bang for the buck, the FZ20 wins. As the others pointed out above, features and a fast lens are a big +++. Picture quality is excellent, and noise levels aren't as bad as some reports make out. If you experience too much noise, there are ample NR programs out there now, and are quite effective. You'll also experience noise with the 8800 under certain conditions. If I was going to spend the money the 8800 cost, I'd go for a SLR. Not much more, and the noise levels will definitely be less. But if you want to spend under $600 U.S., then get the Panasonic. Cheers..thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:48 PM   #5

My recommendation kinda fits in with what most of the people have already said before me. As far as bang for the buck, the FZ20 is what you need. If you tend to need to prints something beyond the 8X10 size or crop a lot of your photos...then maybe the 8800 might help. But if you staying within the size limits then why spend more money on extra pixels? Extra pixels does not make a great image

If i had a choice between a 8MP, no IS, decent lens, ok zoom, etc

and a 5MP, 2 IS modes, great lens, the best zoom in its class...guess which one i would pick?

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:44 PM   #6

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
If i had a choice between a 8MP, no IS, decent lens, ok zoom, etc

and a 5MP, 2 IS modes, great lens, the best zoom in its class...guess which one i would pick?

seth

The 8800 has IS. They just have a different name for it.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:37 PM   #7

Thank you very much for your help.

Sammy
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:38 PM   #8

Sammy
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:38 PM   #9

Sammy