Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:57 AM   #1

Ok, Inarrowed my choices to these two cameras. My budget is around $300 for a camera and I can get both for this price. I wondering if the loss of 2megapixels and the gain of a 12x zoom with IS is a good decision....I am really leaning towards the Panny but the loss of resolution is holding me back. I will be taking family, nature (landscape, animals, etc) and maybe sports pictures (yankee games, college BB, etc). Occasional 8x10s but moslty smaller pics and computer images, also may be cropping if pics need it.

Do you guys think this is a good trade off?

Also the Panny only uses a 1/3.2 ccd with 3mp, others are using 1/2.7, or 1/2.5 for the same pixel count, is this a problem?

Mike
Mike682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:21 PM   #2

Mike682 wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I narrowed my choices to these two cameras. My budget is around $300 for a camera and I can get both for this price. I wondering if the loss of 2megapixels and the gain of a 12x zoom with IS is a good decision....I am really leaning towards the Panny but the loss of resolution is holding me back. I will be taking family, nature (landscape, animals, etc) and maybe sports pictures (yankee games, college BB, etc). Occasional 8x10s but moslty smaller pics and computer images, also may be cropping if pics need it.

Do you guys think this is a good trade off?
You can print average 8"x10" with 3 megapixels without cropping. If you want to crop or if you want to print larger, good quality, pics then you may want more megapixels. (As a side note, some people manage to print larger pics with interpolation and other software tricks but the quality won't be great)...

If you will only print 8x10 once in a while, then 3 megapixels should be good enough.

I don't think zoom vs megapixel is a really much of a contest. These are two totally different games. Zoom will allow you to take far away objects that can't be reproduced with 5 megapixels. Similarly, if you want to print a good quality large pic, then 3 megapixel with zoom won't really help. I think you should decide whether you want zoom or not, and then decide how many megapixels you need (looks like around 3MP to 4MP)...

Quote:

Also the Panny only uses a 1/3.2 ccd with 3mp, others are using 1/2.7, or 1/2.5 for the same pixel count, is this a problem?

Mike
Since the Canon has more megapixels, it is hard to say outright (BOTH megapixels and size of sensor impact noise). Given that the megapixels (sensors) are the same, a smaller sensor will produce more noise (noise is what shows up as "dots" in pics). Without doing thorough research, I would GUESS that the Panasonic has more noise than the Canon at higher ISOs.

----

The Canon A95 is geared towards family pics and is smaller than the FZ3 (if I'm not mistaken). I would consider the FZ3 to be more of a specialized, more amateur photographer oriented, camera. For sporting events, ultra-zooms (like the FZ3) are best, while I would argue that general low-zoom cameras are best for general family photography.

I think your decision is simple. Decide if you need long zoom. Zoom helps with sporting events (players far away from you), animals (far away from humans), and stuff like that. If you don't need zoom, then I would probably go with the Canon A95 over the FZ3.

Since I value zoom, I would pick FZ3 over the A95 in this comparison...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote