Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:26 PM   #1

Hello Everyone!!

I looove taking video with my camera but you would obviously need a great lit environment to do so, and in cases where there is little light I would like to know what cameras offer night shot framing.

I went to Best Buy the other day and saw the Sony Cybershot DSC-V3 and it had the nightframing, andit was fantastic!

I'm talking about the green-ish color that nightframing uses to light up whatever your filming in low light conditions, evenCOMPLETE DARKNESS. Usually most videocamcorders carry this but I haven't seen this in digital cameras yet!

In cases where its completely dark orifyou want to film in the evening this would be superb. Anyone know of any other cameras or is SONY the 1st?
xoxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:47 PM   #2

I honestly don't know much about night shots, as I usually stick to smaller cameras, but I image that if the V3 can do it, a DSLR can do it better. It's probably worth checking both Nikon and Canon for any DSLR's with the night shot feature built in. Otherwise, because of their aperture range and sensor size, I imagine a DSLR could be made to take great shots in low/no light without any presets. Hope that made any sense.

~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:08 PM   #3

Quote:
but I image that if the V3 can do it, a DSLR can do it better
Well in this case that is not true. I have both the Sony F505 and the F707. The newest of the line is the F717 and the * megapixal F825 or something...

As far as I can tell Sony has a proprietary feature using the green night vision technology for night framing. In my opinion, no one has a better process for this thanSony.My primary camera is a Canon Digital Rebel, but whenI shootConcerts or nightclubs I use my Sony fF707 5 mp. It gets even better with the Sony Flash which intensifies the night vision capability by actually lighting up the subject with some sort of infra red light invisable to the eye but bright to the camera view finder.

You frame in green but when the flash fires it will give you perfect color shots in no light at all. Every other camera needs at least some light to focus, but you will not be able to seeto frame.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:23 AM   #4

xoxox,

Just to add to minutephotos' post, all digital cameras have an infrared filter in the light path before the image sensor. Sony's NightFraming actually flips this filter out of the way to allow you to see the subject in total darkness being lit up by an infrared emitter built into the camera. Due to Sony's laser focusing system, focusing in total darkness is not a problem either. Once you release the shutter, the IR filter flips back into place and the shot is taken normally with the flash. You canalsoput the camera in "NightShot" mode where the filter never flips back into place and it will just take the"green image" shot, with no flash firing. Only Sony cameras cando this, no one else. TheNightFraming and laser assisted focusing systemare two of thereasons I went with the V3 over Canon's G6, and so far I absolutely love it. A dSLR may take a better low/no-light picture, but that's only if you can frame it properly and get a good focus on your subject.

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:44 PM   #5

Exactly well worded. I want to sell my Sony to get an L-series lens, but I just can't let go of this "Night Vision Framing", it is so handy. It works better with the Sony Flash, the external flash emits a stronger and wider infra read beam. It really lights up things well at night and allows you to get fast accurate focusing.

So, for this reason alone I will keep my Sony F707 for situations that might require this. For everythin else I will be using my Canon Drebel with my new Sigma 70-200 F2.8 lenes. :-)
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:33 AM   #6

SEPTIK,

Since you have the V3 I would like to ask you a question. I know the V3 is able to take video on mpeg vx ( i think), is it possibe to record video using the nightshot? What I mean is if there is an instance that you would like to record and it is totally dark can it record video using the greenish color?

Also, is the zoom available when recording movies?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:33 AM   #7

SEPTIK,

Since you have the V3 I would like to ask you a question. I know the V3 is able to take video on mpeg vx ( i think), is it possibe to record video using the nightshot? What I mean is if there is an instance that you would like to record and it is totally dark can it record video using the greenish color?

Also, is the zoom available when recording movies?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:38 AM   #8

SEPTIK,

Since you have the V3 already, is it possible to record movie using the nightshot feature? Meaning, is it able to record using the greenish light if light conditions are low? So if you would like to view it, it would be in that "green mode"???

Also, is it possible to use the zoom while recording?

Thanks for your imput! =)

Claudia
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:40 AM   #9

OOPS! My computer froze for a bt and I thought it didnt go through, sorry about that. =)
Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:53 PM   #10

Claudia,

It is possible to record in the "NightShot" mode, but your movie will end up in that greenish light. "NightFraming" doesn't work here, so what you see is what you get in this case. Also, it is only possible to set the zoom level before you begin recording. Once you push record, the zoom is locked.

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote