Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:15 PM   #1

hi everyone,

i wanted to know if the sony p100 will be a good camera for me i love to take pictures i had the kodak 6440 but for some reason no matter what i did it would not take great pictures in low lighting ( i tried to take pictures of my daughters play) and they where so dark with this camera. i ordered the p100 but i can always send it back if need be i just want to take descent pictures in low light conditions. my budget would be around the price of the p100 or less thanks in advance
cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:53 PM   #2

cassy wrote:
Quote:
i had the kodak 6440 but for some reason no matter what i did it would not take great pictures in low lighting ( i tried to take pictures of my daughters play) and they where so dark with this camera.
Your Kodak is fully capable of taking great pictures in low light conditions. How far away are your subjects? Were you using zoom at the time? What mode were you using? Were you using flash? If you can be a bit more specific about what is going on/wrong, we might be able to help you prevent the same thing from happening with other cameras. This is because things like this is more commonly human error rather than camera error.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:24 PM   #3

well at the time that i was taking the pictures at the play i was in the middle of the auditorium the lighting in there was not very good and i had the camera set auto i also tired the setting that had the mountain (sorry i no longer have the camera so i don't remember what that setting is called)i liked the camera very much but ihave little hands and i want something that will fit in my little hands. and yes it could of been me not knowing how to work the camera. i am so glad that i found this forum and joined and thankyou PhilR. for responding so quickly. the p100 is on it's way in a couple of days. i know i will need help using that one as well thankyou.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:36 PM   #4

The P100 is a great camera. I own the P150, and I couldn't be happier. I would highly reccomend it as a P&S. With that said however, you have to accept that smaller digital cameras, especially ultra-compacts such as the P100 have trouble in low light conditions without flash. At this point in time, we just have to accept that as going along with the size of digital cameras.

PhilR. is most likely correct, human error probably had more to do with your shots than your camera did (no offense intended, just the most likely explanation). Also, I may have never used a Kodak digital camera, but I would think the mountain means landscape. It would probably have been to your advantage to use a differnt setting (night shot? manual?).

Regardless, best of luck with your new P100! You wont regret it!~Jack

I hope this post made any sense, I'm tired out of my mind, and can't bring my self to proofread it.
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5

cassy wrote:
Quote:
well at the time that i was taking the pictures at the play i was in the middle of the auditorium
Since the auditorium was probably more than 30 feet across, you were not within the range of the flash. Assuming you were using flash, that is why your pics were dark. If you were not using flash, then that would also explain why your pictures were dark.

Your shooting mode selection was also incorrect. If you think about it for a moment - have you ever seen a mountain in an auditorium? "Landscape" mode may force the camera to select a smaller aperture, which will also limit you when you are already shooting in a dim environment. It may even force the flash off completely (flash not needed when shooting landscapes), which again would explain your dark pics.

Every flash has it's limits, and if you shoot beyond those limits, you will never get a properly lit picture, and this is regardless of the camera model. If you were not using flash and instead shooting in low light, then also realize that every camera has a limit as to how low a light level it will correctly function in. All in all, you were blaming the camera for not doing what it is incapable of doing in the first place. Switching the camera won't help, especially if you won't learn what a camera is and is not capable of.

I'm not sure why you would complain of dark pictures, and then buy a different camera with an even shorter flash range than the one you have in the first place. At any rate, you would do well to read the specs for any camera you have and learn how far you can shoot flash pictures, and then stay within that range when using the flash. Spend some time reading the instruction booklet as well. Most of those things will give you some info as to what the different shooting modes are for. By investing a few moments in learning what those modes are for, you will greatly increase your chances of getting good pictures. Knowing these basics will also allow you to come here and ask the kind of informed questions that will allow you to fine tune your shooting technique.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:22 PM   #6

thanks for all the help everyone the pictures that i took that day i had the settings on auto and the flash was on the auditurium was very small.and i am now getting to know a few things about cameras now that i've found this site which is fantastic. i will look in the forums on how to upload pictures so i can show you all what i mean. i read up on the kodak and it did take alot of wonderful pictures while i had it i just have alot more to learn about digital camerasand i now know that i can learn alot from all of you here thanks again will let you all know when i receive the p100 i am now missing my 6440 now but i look foward on learning with the p100.