Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:14 AM   #1

I am trying to discover the key features to evaluate for a digital camera intended solely for still shots. I would like enough resolution to be able to read captured book pages, but need the capability of taking larger images the size of a car or thereabouts. I do NOT intend to print out pics, just electronic viewing. I am also concerned with the image storage method and prefer one that allows download without the camera, if needed, and the pro/con of the storage method.

If you are aware of particular models that contain these minimum requirements, that would help, but I am really interested in compiling a general list of features for a low-end application like this (at least I THINK this would be low-end!) to focus upon.

Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Links that lead to neophyte information of this genre are also helpful.
chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:01 PM   #2

A lot of cameras will satisfy your requirements...

chipster wrote:
Quote:
I would like enough resolution to be able to read captured book pages, but need the capability of taking larger images the size of a car or thereabouts.
If you want to read fine print, what you care about is how well the camera can resolve details. This is usually hard to figure out but you can read reviews, such as the ones from dpreview.com where they test the resolution (here is an example of what I mean). Do note that this depends on how far away you are from the book and how big the book text is. Most modern cameras can capture the text from a normal book but if you want something really small (say the printed symbols on a currency note), then you need a good camera and/or macro lens add-on. To sum up, for capturing text on a book, you want very good resolving capability and macro performance.

As far as taking a car pic is concerned, you want a camera with big wide angle. Look to see what the smallest 35mm equivalent focal length is. For example, a 35mm camera (i.e. camera at 35mm equivalent length, such as with no zoom) will show less than another camer with say 30mm wide angle. Of course, if the car doesnt' fit in your pic, you can move back and get more of the picture in the frame. Nearly all cameras can take good pics of large objects, like cars.

Quote:
I do NOT intend to print out pics, just electronic viewing.
If you don't intend to print, then a camera with low megapixels is good enough. I would say a 2 megapixel camera is more than enough.

Quote:
I am also concerned with the image storage method and prefer one that allows download without the camera, if needed, and the pro/con of the storage method.
Most cameras store their pictures in a memory card. You can remove this memory card and use a card reader hooked up to a computer to transfer images to the computer.

On the other hand, if you meant to store images directly on a computer without using the memory card at all, some cameras can supposedly do it. The performance isn't great so thta isn't recommended..

Quote:
If you are aware of particular models that contain these minimum requirements, that would help, but I am really interested in compiling a general list of features for a low-end application like this (at least I THINK this would be low-end!) to focus upon.
Your requiremens are kind of vague. Nearly all cameras can satisfy your requirements. I think you should try specifying how small the text is going to be, or something like that. Look through a few reviews here, at dpreview.com, and dcresource.com, and see if a sample camera does what you want. Look at the resolution charts and maybe the sample pics and see how good they are.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:39 PM   #3

I know my request is vague but it's based on a lack of knowledge of photography.

However, I 've already gleaned a few points that will help me to limit my search: 1)2MP is sufficient, and 2)zoom capability not necessary.

Thanks for the review links that I'm sure will help me understand the features better.

chipster is offline   Reply With Quote