Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:06 PM   #1

Which of these would you guy's recommend, and Why. I know the Canon has only 5.0mp and the Fuji has 6.1mp. I am not so locked on the MegaPixels for now. I just want a good hearty digital camera with little or no problems. I have read (extensively) reviews on both of these jems. But still am not sure. Can you help me decide?

Thank you
Richard :O
Kobinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 2:03 PM   #2

The E550 is very interesting in the aspect of its 32.5-130mm lense, its movie mode, the 2" LCD and its speed... Also, there is the ability to shoot at ISO800 at 3mp which can be interesting but, where it lacks is in the low light conditions, not having an AF lamp, only having a max of 3 seconds long exposure and a LCD that is not viewable in dim light makes those shots quite hard to take. Also, Fuji leaves no option for compression and at 6mp, the files are quite compressed. A 6mp picture from the E550 takes about as much memory as a 5mp picture from the A95 when using Fine mode(there is Superfine).

The E550 uses xD cards which I consider to be a disadvantage because they cost more and are not universal at all, but it does come with a charger and some rechargeable batteries.

I own the A95 and I consider its shot to shot delay to be terrible with the flash on, I read and the E550 is MUCH slower, so that can be annoying... The A95 takes those shots in 4.5 seconds(which is already slow) while the E550 takes them in 7.1 seconds. In all other aspects, the E550 is faster tho. Where there really is a difference is in the camera speed in terms of writting to the card, the E550 is about 3 times faster than the A95, thanks to the xD card(which I still dislike).

The A95 is better on taking continuous shots, where in the worst case, it can take twice as many shots as the E550 at a slower rate tho(still very acceptable IMHO).

Well, I like the A95, but the E550 is certainly not a bad camera.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:45 PM   #3

Well, I'm not really sure if I'm able to help you with this one. I owned the Fuji E500. It's pretty much the same camera, just a drop down in megapixels. It was an ok camera but it really didn't suit what I wanted. In fact, I returned it for the A85, and then for the A95, and I'm quite happy where I am now. The light on the fuji camera isn't nearly as good as the A95, and the pictures are just "ok". I didn't really test it out that much, because I only had it for a short period. Hope this helps!!
jarrettmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:10 PM   #4

Nicolas&jarrettmac,

Thank you for your input on the subject. I went ahead and purchased a New Canon A95 from Dell electronics. Final price (with all discounts) was 261.65 for this almost 400.00 camera. I could not find any other place that could even come close tothe sale price for the A95. And the Fuji E550 was 10.00 cheaper (damn good prices)...

I almost went with the Fuji, but we'll see how the Canon does...:|

Richard
Kobinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:52 AM   #5

Check Sony DSC W1. I will suit your needs and it's an excellent piece.

Rajesh
rajeshkr is offline   Reply With Quote