Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:14 PM   #1

Ineed to buy a camera ($200-$300) for use excusively in the macro setting. Basically I need very near close-ups with natural light. The Canon sd 200 advertises a "digital macro" to enlarge the target image. Does anybody have any recommendations ?

Thanks
ftausk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:33 PM   #2

If you check the review for the SD200, you will find a minimum macro distance of one foot. Many other cameras will focus to within and inch or two, some even closer than that. You would do well to look at the reviews and find a camera that has a macro distance that is much shorter.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:57 PM   #3

I suggest you take a look at the Ricoh range of cameras. They can shoot macro from 1 cm (one centimeter) and 15cm with flash. 28mm at the wide end as well.

Have a look at this one.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...caplio_gx.html

Quote from Steve's review: " The lens is able to focus as close as 1cm, nearly filling the frame with a subject as small as a dime"

Regards,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:11 AM   #4

Sounds like I am in the same boat as you, looking for a camera to improve my marco shooting

I have had some "ok luck" with an old Power Shot G2 by Canon (examples: http://www.abbottglassdesigns.com/gallery.asp ) I still have some serious issues with some real small items being a bit blurry and dark (my latest shots http://www.abbottglassdesigns.com/buyBeadForRings.asp ). From talking with others on here, it sounds like that may be more my fault than the camera

Some of the people on the forum have suggested some Nikon Coolpix "Swivel Bodied" models (Coolpix 950, 990, 995, 4500). Most people I talk to always point me back to the Nikons, so that may be a place for you to look, only they may still be a bit above your price range).

Good luck! Let me know what you end up with and how it turns out.

--Aaron

KOZMICBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:02 AM   #5

Aaron:

Yes, the old discontiued coolpix swivel models appear to have the best macros. I need the camera for medical (dermatology) photos, and at this time, I am very tempted to get the Canon SD 200 or the 300, due to their digital macro. The sample photos are very impressive in reviews.

ftausk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:49 PM   #6

Yes, I had a Coolpix 990 swivel body for taking pictures of jewelry and I got really sensational images. I usually shot up close, about 1 inch away so I could go to print.
Attached Images

drj99 is offline   Reply With Quote