Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:55 PM   #1

Please help! My old G2 has been "in the shop" for the last month. Best Buy sent it back to Canon for repair and now Best Buy can't even get anyone at Canon to talk to them and tell them what the status is!!! If I just give up (am getting real tired of not having a camera) I would like advice on which one to replace it with.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I do mostly action type shots, my kids playing various sports - baseball, soccer, riding horses, etc. Also do some indoor concert type shooting where I wouldn't really want to use bright external flash (both kids play in band). One of my main complaints about the G2 was that by the time it locked focus, the action was already gone, and if it did fire off a shot, they were usually blurry. I know the G6 is supposedly very much improved and is considered to have slightly less noise and a slightly better image quality than V3. But V3 supposedly has better autofocus system (what good is image quality if I can't get a focus lock?) and neat night-framing capabilities. But G6 has the swivel LCD. Anyway, I was hoping someone with experience with these cameras could let me know if they think either one of them will do the job I am looking for.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Your comments and assistance are very much appreciated.:O

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

pmanza,

I was in the same position as you a little over a month ago: trying to decide between Canon's G6 and Sony's V3. Of course I'm going to tell you to go with the V3, since that's the one I bought :-), but they are both great cameras.

Here is why I chose the V3:

1) Picture Quality

2) Auto-Focus

3) Night-Framing

First, I looked at all the online sample photos I could find to compare image quality between the two. Both cameras appeared to take gorgeous photos. I could distinguish some minor color differences between the two, but I couldn't tell which one should have been closer to the original scene. Both shots simply looked great. Reading other's impressionsof the two sets of photos, I found half saying the G6 looked better and the other half saying the V3's were better. I finally came to the conclusion that I shouldn't put very much stock into whatanyone saysabout onecamera'spictures "looking" betterthan the other. After owning the camera, my thoughts have not changed. I figured if I had advanced enough in digital photography at this point to tell the difference, I should be looking at a dSLR.

Second, I wanted a camerawith a quick and spot-on auto-focus. My previous camera was a Minolta DiMAGE 7. Very, very nice camera, but the auto-focus was slow and in-exact. My research convinced me Sony's Hologram AF system blew away anything else on the market, and from what I could tell in-store, the reviews were correct. This camera would lock onto anythingI pointed it at very quickly. When I got it home, this was still the case in more normal, lowerlighting conditions. The autofocus will lock-on to what it's pointed at, even in complete darkness. This leads me to the final selling point of the V3: NightFraming.

Without going into too much detail, the V3 allows you to view your subject in low to no light, even on the LCD viewer, and still take a perfectly auto-focused, flashed photo. Framing and focusing takes place in the infrared spectrum, while the picture is taken "normally". This is cool stuff and very useful if you plan on taking a lot of pictures in-doors.

Whew, sorry this turned into such a long post, pmanza, but I'm really passionate aboutmy V3. I have a 2-year old that was taxing the ol' DiMAGE, and my V3 has performed with flying colors. Now, every little toddler acrobatic stunt he attemptsis captured forever.Not wanting to take up too much of your time,I didn't even mention the video this thing does. That's another topic...

I hope this helps,

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3

Thanks Casey, that is exactly the kind of info I am hoping to get. I really need good autofocus, bought the G2 because it was top of the line when I got it, but have been constantly disappointed the whole time I have owned it. I hate to think of all those special "kid" moments I have missed. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the photos of most of the newest cameras except maybe a bit of difference in the saturation (I like vivid color so...), but I really just cannot see hte "noise" that everyone is talking about in the higher MP cameras unless it is really blown up big on the screen. I just think good photo quality is worthless unless I can get the photo to begin with. Glad to hear the V3 does indeed have an autofocus as good as they claim.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks, Peggy

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote