Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1

Ok, this is my dilemma. Imay be able to buy the SD200 for $357.99CND or the SD300 for $389.99CND. I think these are both great prices already. Should I stick with the 3.2mp or pay $32 more for a 4.0mp? Which one of these is the better camera? On one hand, it would be nice to have an extra pixel to play around with for when I want to crop photos. But then I've been hearing that the edges of the SD200 photos turn out better than the SD300s. Is their any other major differences between these 2 cameras with the movie modes, quality sensors, etc.?

Vanessa
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:12 PM   #2

The review says they're nearly identical.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...sd300_pg5.html
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:08 AM   #3

Hi Vanessa

I have that dilemma too - on this site, one guy said go for the SD300, just because it gives that little bit extra pixelage to "play" with and the other guy said go for the SD200 and with the money you save on the price, pay for the extras, like extra battery, case, 512 memory etc!!

I'll be interested to hear which one you decide on!!

Annie
annie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 6:19 PM   #4

Hey Annie. I'm going to go with the SD200. I most likely won't be printing any larger than 4x6 so I think this camera will be more than adequate for me. Plus, there still should be some little room for cropping. The $100 price difference betwen the SD200 and SD300 I don't think will be worth it for me.

Vanessa
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 6:30 PM   #5

For $400(USD) online you could get a dmc-FX7 with 5 megapixels. and, most importantly, Optical Image Stabilization.

Only reason I throw that in is that I was looking at the exaqct same models and went with the Panasonic. OIS makes a big difference in pic quality when taking hand-held shots.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:50 AM   #6

To be fair, the OIS is probablymost useful only where you are taking photos in low-light situations without a flash - so a long exposure time. During daytime, it shouldn't matter too much. Also, IIRC, the FX7 doesn't have an optical viewfinder, which means you do normally take photos hloding the camera at arms length which is shakier.
jkmng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7
rp3

I choose the SD200 for myself and wouldn't change the decision for equal dollar.

For me, I had to look at my uses of the photos and I saw I had (as of the purchase date) never printed a picture (now have printed 7 "4x6" images). At that point I realized that beyond 2-3 MP (I have a 1.5MP monitor), I wouldn't appreciate the differnence enough to pay for. The other thing is asthetics. This is a camera you are buying for the coolness factor. If all you want is a 3MP, 3x zoom camera, there are less expensive ways to get there. I thought the SD200 looked alot cooler than the SD300 with the multiple rings around the lens. The SD300 is a more traditional looking camera with it's front cover.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:31 PM   #8

Well folks, I finally decided to go for the SD300 and I'm over the moon - its looks great and even I could get to grips with the basics straight away!

It cost me an £40 more than the SD200, I've have bought a 512mb stick and will invest in an extra battery. I've already taken close ups which I'm thrilled with and cant wait now to learn how to get the most out of it . . watch this space!!

Thank you to anyone who has given me the benefit of their experience.
annie21 is offline   Reply With Quote