Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:57 PM   #1

Hi!
Its time to step up to the world of DSLR's. The description says it all. I need a good priced dslr, with a wide range of cheap lenses available for it. I shoot a lot of action photos (bmx, skateing, etc) but I also do a lot of people photos, landscape, and well, I just love to take photos, especially at night (recomend a flash, if you like).

Anyways, what would you recomend for me to get?

And, after we decide on the camera, what would be a good 'all around lens' to hold me untill I get a good wide zoom, and fisheye?

Thank you!
FeelGoodRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:44 PM   #2

Bump...
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:24 PM   #3

What is your budget?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:28 PM   #4

No more than $1500 for the camera and a stock/basic lens to hold me untill I can afford more lenses.

So, technically, whats a good dslr and cheap stock / regular lens?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:29 PM   #5

A Canon Digital Rebel is an excellent camera and not too expensive I suppose. The problem is that depending on the type of action shots, or any pictures that you take, your needs for lenses will vary greatly. With bmx and skating and such I have seen quite a few shots with extreme wideangle as well as telephoto.

For the type of shots you mentioned, I would recommendlenses in the range of 17-35, and 70-200. Start with the 18-55 kit lens, and then as you become more used to the camera, try either the long or short end. With practice you will learn how you like to shoot and from where.

It is very confusing shopping for lenses, and if you buy a lens just to have it, you will end up replacing it in a fairly short period of time. Take your time before jumping into a more expensive lens.

Sorry I couldn't be mroe help.

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:38 PM   #6

The D70 is supposed to be pretty good with action shots. The kit (body, 18-70mm lens, all the other goodies) comes to about $1300 USD last time I checked.However,Ritz (in my opinion, a very trustworthy company) Camera has itin a deal with a bunch of extras for $1200.Definetly worth looking into.

Apologies I couldn't give you any first-hand advice, but I still use an old Nikon SLR. Best of luck with your search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:39 PM   #7

I've been looking at the D70, honestly. It seems great, I like it better then the Cannon personally.

I know what my style of shooting is already, here are some sample photos that i've taken with my current POS digicam:

I personally prefer longlens shots over fisheye, anyone can throw on a fisheye and get two feet away from the subject and it look good, but I have a limited zoom range on my current camera, and well, I just hate it.