Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:16 PM   #1

I just found this site after researching digital cameras. I have used 35mm cameras, but I would like recommendations for digital cameras that will take good close-up photos of flowers--cameras under $500 please. Thank you!
flowernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:54 PM   #2

Nikon's are generally regarded as having very good macro mode. Until the end of the month, Nikon has a $200 rebate on the 5400, which can be purchased online for around$429. Once the rebate is factored in, that becomes a great deal. I would get one myself if I didn't just buy a camera a few months ago. Take a look at the review - I think the 5400 will focus as close as 1/2 inch, which is pretty darn close....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:02 AM   #3

flowernut wrote:
Quote:
I just found this site after researching digital cameras. I have used 35mm cameras, but I would like recommendations for digital cameras that will take good close-up photos of flowers--cameras under $500 please. Thank you!

Most will do this nicely, would you like to be able to take shots of anything else with this camera?

Or is it purely for taking close-ups

I have been playing with the macro mode on my Kyocera M410R this has a 10x zoom so its a good all rounder it has limitations but so do all cameras.

Not really tried to use macro so this came out better than I thought, considering it is classed as an ultra-zoom, and I'm still learning.If you look at the PIC POST thread in the Kyocera Postings you will see some very good close-ups.

I know lots of people will now slate it but there we go and yep there is loads of good cameras to choose from just thought I'd show you a simple quick shot that I tried.

Just another view point and another camera to look at and confuse you!!!

Cheers Ian

Attached Images

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:31 PM   #4

[align=left]The Nikons are great for close shots. [/align]

[align=left]Here's a quick review on the Nikon Coolpix 3200:[/align]

[align=left]http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3200/CP32A.HTM[/align]

[align=left]I agree with Phil, but....as a newbie to digital photography myself I amconsidering a Canon A510 when it comes out in the next week or two. It looks like a good all around camera with the newest technology. For the price it should be a great value - the only negative is that it is just 3.2 megapixels. [/align]

[align=left]See a description of the soon to be released Canon A510 here: [/align]

[align=left]http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05012002canona510.asp[/align]

[align=left]The Canons and Fujis seem to have a wider aperture range than the Nikons at this level. Don't quote me on that.[/align]

[align=left]:|[/align]
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:05 PM   #5

I should also mention the Kodak CX7430. It's on sale at Targetthis weekfor $199.99 including a 128 Mb memory card. It also seems to have received good reviews. Look here:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPF-Kodak_CX7340

Of course, the reviewers (Epinions) are not professionals. But still...

:|

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote