Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:00 PM   #1

I have an Oly 2020 many years ago, my experience, it CANNOT take a bad picture even without focus assistence (FA). Now I am using a Minolta Z1 ultra zoom without FA, it CANNOT take a decentpicture under low light situation, it cannot focus. Now I want to buy another ultrazoom and have narrowed down to the S5100, with FA, or the Oly C765 without the FA. Can the owners of these two cameras shed some suggestions? I did ultrazoom most of the time and macro too, IS is NOT a factor, and $30 difference is NOT a factor too. I lean towards the Fuji, maybe because I am so tire w the Z1, which STOPPED you from taking a picture even at a slightly lower ambien light. Yes, if the surface has contrast problem then you need a ton of flooding light to focus. Other than the low light situations, I am very very happy with the Z1, though. Yes I already read the previous FA thread. I need help in my final decision. thanks in advance

bunanson
bunanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:44 PM   #2

I can vouch for the S5100 it amazes me how well it can focus in low light, read all the reviews, they agree. I cannot speak for the Olympus, but the reviews do say it has a problem focusing in low light.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:56 PM   #3

MikDee wrote:
Quote:
I can vouch for the S5100 it amazes me how well it can focus in low light, read all the reviews, they agree. I cannot speak for the Olympus, but the reviews do say it has a problem focusing in low light.
Thanks MikDee, with you support, I placed an order for the S5100. Will post my experience later. Of course, the size is also in my factor decision too. Unfortunately, the C765 is smaller: C765 4.1X2.7X2.4,10 ozvs S5100 4.4X3.2X3.1,12 oz
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:04 PM   #4

I am very very disappointed with the S5100. I used it for one day, in a party, took more than 100 pics. I have to try very hard in order to get it focus. In a very well lit room, the sign for handshake continuous showed up, means that a flash is required. I mean in a room almost blind to the eye, and the S5100 needs flash. And half of the time, the 'cannot focus sign' is on, even, again, in a well lit room. I am not quite sure, the camera is not malfunctioning or this is the way it is built. I am planning to return it. Very very disappointed. This is way worse than my Minolta Z1, much worse. I have not been able to get the "flash" sign off for indoor photo. Only outdoor the flash sign is off. It got to be a joke.

bunanson