Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:11 AM   #1

Hi , im a newbie and i need ur opinion on this.
I want to buy a camera to take pics form family , holidays , and some developing projects. Most of pics will not be printed so i dont know how much megapixels i need.
I saw a Sony dsc w1 and a Nikon coolpix 5200, and i dont know which is better.
If u recoomend other camera plz tell me.
Thanks.
Biotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:10 AM   #2

What is some developing projects ? If were to print, how big would u print ? Do you realize that most digital cameras will offer you some not so great results with flash turned on ? Were you using disposable cameras before for those purpose ? Do you have kids to photograph(moving fast) ?

Is size important for you ? What is your budget ? Do you plan to use manual controls or to always leave the camera in auto(or programed) mode ?

With what you've said, I am think that u need a 3megapixels camera(can be more if what u need has more). I personally have a little something for the A75(or the upcoming A510), but it has lots of manual controls... you can also set it to auto or program mode. Besides that, I'm not sure, maybe I'd give u a look at the Casio, since they have many scene modes(that is if you do not plan to use manual controls).

The W1 is also a good camera, Sony cameras have a good focusing system for low light situations. As for the Nikon 5200, I'm not sure, I haven't really looked at it.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:30 AM   #3

The picture size is the normal 11*15 i suppose.
Im not a pro so manual stuff is not that important for me.
I just wand a average cam.
Projects = helping may father restauring a car( mini 1275 gt @ 1380 cc), so need to take lots of photos to have a complete historial about all things done to it.
And besides projects it will be used for holidays and family, about movement photos one or other time maybe. No kids im only 19 :roll:
Budject = no more than 350 euros
Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4

11x15, I presume that is 11cm x 15cm... Alright, so I guess that you need 2-3megapixels. So let's say 3, that way it would enable u to crop... In which case, I would presume that the Canon A75 would be a good choice(enabling u to learn some manual controls if you want), I'd also suggest waiting until the Canon A510 comes out because it would probably lower the price and give u a choice for another interesting camera.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:51 AM   #5

hmm the problem abou manual controls is that im a complete noob :roll: i have to find a mixture of manual and automatic.
for those kind of pics u suggest no more than 3 mp maybe 4 , ok.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:49 AM   #6

Hi I am biased for the Canon S1 IS. But for what you are describing it would be great. It is very good for the point and shooter and if you wanted to wander into the manual stuff it is all there and the 10 X zoom is very nice. And you can pic em up for less than 350 nowadays. So you are not just limited to your minimum items you want. I hear that the Panasonic FZ series is very competitive to the S1 so you might consider that also. I primarily went with the S1 because I had a couple of hundred dollars of compact flash memory (cheaper and more flexible than the the others - just my opinion) and know Canon puts out a good product. I also like the flexible LCD and because of it have gotten a couple of pics that others couldn't...e.g. bear pics behind a fence. Everyone else got half fence and half face. I held the camera above my head as high as I could zoomed for the best framing and got a great full face shot. Someone else told me they were able to get some cute kid/pet pics (they always stop what they are doing when you walk up with a camera) by sneaking the camera around a corner and adjusting the flexible lcd to get the shot...
Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote