Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:36 AM   #1

I am going to upgrade from my Canon PowerShot A70 soon and have narrowed mychoices down between these two models but am unsure which one of these cameras to buy. I already own some add on lens (telephoto and Wide angle) for my A70 which should also work on the A95. What do you more advanced and more familar users think? Which one would be the better buy. I take a lot of outdoor shots, especially action shots of wildlife like ducks flying and the like.Thanks for your help in assisting me in making my decision.
badbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2

Do note that Canon announced newer versions (2005 models) of the A line. If you are willing to pay for the new models, you may want to wait. They may also announce a successor to the S1 IS... In any case...

Wildlife pics are usually better with zoom cameras (Canon S1 IS or not)... so an ultra-zoom sounds good. Although, it's very hard to take moving objects. I think you will notice a bigger difference going for A70 to S1 IS than from A70 to A95 (roughly speaking, the A95 simply has more megapixels and better LCD).

If you can wait, wait a couple of months and see if Canon (or other manufacturers) announce any new models.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:00 AM   #3

Hi there,

I'm also interested in the A95 but this is the first time that i've heard about a 2005 A line. Can you please tell me more about it (if possible, estimated release date would be immensly appreciated) as i'm very interested. Still tossing up between the IXUS 40 and A95. Thank you!

Cheers,
Kim.
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:03 PM   #4

kimnkk wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I'm also interested in the A95 but this is the first time that i've heard about a 2005 A line. Can you please tell me more about it (if possible, estimated release date would be immensly appreciated) as i'm very interested. Still tossing up between the IXUS 40 and A95. Thank you!

Cheers,
Kim.
I don't really know when they will announce all the models or when they will come out. So far they only announced one that I know of called A510. Here is the A510, which is the 2005 version of A75 it looks like. It has some new features like zoom-linked flash and add-on flash module... I would imagine that Canon would also announce new versions of A85 and A95 in the future. I'm just not sure when...
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:59 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the link! The A510 looks very promising indeed, but understandably, the size is still a little bulky for my liking. I guess i will try and hold off till the release of the new A95 equivalent and then make my decision. Thanks once again!

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 2:27 AM   #6

kimnkk wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for the link! The A510 looks very promising indeed, but understandably, the size is still a little bulky for my liking. I guess i will try and hold off till the release of the new A95 equivalent and then make my decision. Thanks once again!

Cheers.
if I'm not mistaken, the A95 is roughly thesame shape and size as the A70 (in fact based on the stats, A95 is 0.2 inches bigger and 20g heavier than A70). A510 is supposed to be smaller and over 20g lighter than the A70. So I'm a bit confuse if you find A510 a bit bulky but would consider A95.

Just a thought.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:29 PM   #7

...ben wrote:
Quote:
kimnkk wrote:
Quote:

Cheers.
if I'm not mistaken, the A95 is roughly the same shape and size as the A70 (in fact based on the stats, A95 is 0.2 inches bigger and 20g heavier than A70). A510 is supposed to be smaller and over 20g lighter than the A70. So I'm a bit confuse if you find A510 a bit bulky but would consider A95.

Just a thought.
yeah... if you are going for compacts, then don't expect them to be TOO small... if you want something small, you should stick with ultra-compacts (eg. Canon SD300, Panasonic FX7, etc)....
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:10 AM   #8

...ben wrote:
Quote:
if I'm not mistaken, the A95 is roughly the same shape and size as the A70 (in fact based on the stats, A95 is 0.2 inches bigger and 20g heavier than A70). A510 is supposed to be smaller and over 20g lighter than the A70. So I'm a bit confuse if you find A510 a bit bulky but would consider A95.

Just a thought.
Sorry, i was a bit vague. I don't find the A95 extremely bulky, nor do i find it small. It's a good size and i understand that ultra compacts won't be blessed with ultra quality, and i know that the A95 has a LOT more manual controls and image quality than the IXUS 40. I find (from those pictures) the A510 quite a bit smaller than the A95 so that's why i'm still considering because the A510 looks good at a smaller size.

But it's still a bit too big for my preferences. I should be able to live with it but i'm sure if i had an IXUS 40 i would bring i wouldn't hesitate to bring it where-ever i go. This is really where my question is rooted. Would the convenience factor be bigger than the quality, control (but at a bigger size) be worth it? Of course, no one can answer for me (unfortunately :G) so that's something i have to attempt and solve myself, hopefully once the 4/5MP equivalent of the A510 is relased.

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
yeah... if you are going for compacts, then don't expect them to be TOO small... if you want something small, you should stick with ultra-compacts (eg. Canon SD300, Panasonic FX7, etc)....
Yeah, i've had a muck around with the IXUS 430 and A95 and personally i can't help but to notice the size difference, and also manual controls on the A95. The IXUS 430 is small enough for me to slip into my pocket if i'm not wearing a belt, something the A95 won't allow for.

Sorry for hijacking this thread with my ridiculous conundrum.

But thank you so much for your help Very much appreciated.

/hijack