Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:38 AM   #11

Wow, thanks Jeff, thats kinda disappointing about all those rip off stores.

The search continues
Johnnyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:58 AM   #12

It's us against them when it comes to not getting ripped off. Be sure that when you buy a New camera you are getting a NEW camera.. Don't buy from any place you can't call. If they give any crap after you tell them you don't want add-ons, hang up the phone and call the next one on your list. Those are the ones that seem to be the worse. I don't know if it's proper but I'd recommend Cameta Camera. Packages can be found on ebay and most of the packages are just the bare essentials. They will also sell direct.

Good luck,
Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:24 PM   #13

Thanks Jeff, I think I have narrowed it down to these 5 cameras

Panasonic FZ3

Panasonic FZ10

Panasonic FZ15

Panasonic FZ20

Konica Minolta Z3

Has anyone used these? Im thinking of maybe shooting some low light and Macro shots, so if you have used these, please comments. Thanks again everyone for helping me narrow down my list
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:32 PM   #14

If thats your list, get the FZ20. its bigger and costs more, but it would seem that you really want the Best, otherwise you would just by a camera and be taking pictures already...

The fz20 will grow along with your needs alot better as it has a flash socket, manual focus and better video mode then the other FZ's.

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:50 PM   #15

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
If thats your list, get the FZ20. its bigger and costs more, but it would seem that you really want the Best, otherwise you would just by a camera and be taking pictures already...

The fz20 will grow along with your needs alot better as it has a flash socket, manual focus and better video mode then the other FZ's.
I have to agree. All of the panasonics will give excellent results. The FZ20 does take some getting use to and there's a bit of a learning curve but once you've mastered it you'll be quite pleased. I thought about the KM Z3 myself but didn't care for the hair drier appearance. I also read about it needing firmware updates to correct problems. That coupled with some of the bad stuff I read about the KM A2 (8mp) steered me towards the panasonic. That's not to say they are bad cameras but they seemed a bit problem prone, rushed to market too fast I think.. There are forums here for both brands, I would encourage you to check them out.

Jeff
:|
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 2:03 AM   #16

I am happy someone has asked the same questions I had...now I am leaning toward the FZ20 myself. Questions: I take a lot of low light pics. Can you see well through the EVF in low light or in darkness? Does this camera require a special USB cable?

I need the zoom for drill team pictures (on field) as well as portrait type shots in the stands. Many group photos, too. Is this still the best bet for the price? Price is an issue. Thank you!
MissMelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 2:55 AM   #17
TC3

MissMelly wrote:
Quote:
I am happy someone has asked the same questions I had...now I am leaning toward the FZ20 myself. Questions: I take a lot of low light pics. Can you see well through the EVF in low light or in darkness? Does this camera require a special USB cable?

I need the zoom for drill team pictures (on field) as well as portrait type shots in the stands. Many group photos, too. Is this still the best bet for the price? Price is an issue. Thank you!

I have the M410R and it has a fast lens and R Tune technology which means the camera has a very fast continuous shooting mode and the EVF does not freeze up during picture taking like some cameras. I have never found i need image stabilization at hand held full telephoto. The camera lacks manual focus but this is hardly missed and if you take a look at the Kyocera forum you will see the macro shots do not suffer from lack of manual focus

The EVF is very good and has auto gain up.

You are better of buying a usb 2 card reader whichplugs into the usb port of the pc . These are inexpensive and save wear and tear from constant pluging and unpluging of cables to your camera. All cameras come witha usb cable if thats the way you want to download

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:02 AM   #18

I have very recently purchased the Pana FZ3 and am very happy about it. It is very compact, and the photos are very good. I am a novice, so have that in mind when viewing photos I have posted under the close-up category in the main Forum. Else, search for "Raghu" and see my photographs, if that can help you to decide. I have shot the moon, which is some 3,85,000 km away and I have also shot a spider that was just about 3.85 cm away and have had good results. That speaks for the range!

Whatever decision you finally make, best of luck!

Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:38 PM   #19

Hey Raghu, those pictures are incredible, but I have decided on the FZ15 Silver, now to find where Im gonna order it from, can anyone recommend a cheap merchant thats reliable, I have seen the list most sites put up, but I helped run a online paintball business and have seen how advertising effects the ratings some sites give, Im looking for unbiased opinions.I also wanted to thank you all for helping me narrow this down, Raghu has made me definately want a Panasonic, but I want at least 4 MP. again, thanks all.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:23 AM   #20

Raghu wrote:
Quote:
I have very recently purchased the Pana FZ3 and am very happy about it. It is very compact, and the photos are very good. I am a novice, so have that in mind when viewing photos I have posted under the close-up category in the main Forum. Else, search for "Raghu" and see my photographs, if that can help you to decide. I have shot the moon, which is some 3,85,000 km away and I have also shot a spider that was just about 3.85 cm away and have had good results. That speaks for the range!

Whatever decision you finally make, best of luck!

Raghu
Raghu,

The moon looks a bit overexposed to me (I'd say try to use a slightly higher shutter speed and open the aperture a bit to see the difference), but the spider macro is great.

I've used my C770UZ to shoot the moon (excellent). The 10X zoom would not be able to capture the image as large as the 12X, but the details are still sharp enough to be seen clearly. On one occasion, I even tried to shoot the moon handheld (set it for normal daylight exposure), but the foggy night made the details a bit fuzzy (no detectable shake).

As for macro, I believe Nikon make the best cameras for this and Olympus is not that far behind. The SuperMacro mode lets you close in as close as 3cm from the subject (no flash). A tripod is a must.

Johnnyrot,

If the size and shape of the FZs are ok with you, then by all means go for anyone of them.

If the size is not your cup of tea, the C770UZ is probably the most compact 10X camera that you can get. I got mine for the compactness and great pics, and personally I find the FZ3 a bit too bulky (big lens) to be carried around comfortably.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote