Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:14 AM   #1

Hey all Im pretty new to all of this but I want the ability to progress as I get more use to my new toy. I know I want at least 8x optical zoom, I want to be able to print at least 8 x 10 photos, although I am leaning more towards 4 megapixels. I would like the ability to take macro shots (Im assuming macro shots are like looking through a microscope) I have read on the Panasonic Lumix DMC- FZ10; FZ15; FZ3, the Olympus c-770, Fuji Finepix S5100, and the Konica Minolta DiMage Z3. I have been pricing them and I would like to stay under $325 US, all of these I have found at www.bestchoicedigital.com for under this price, I will upgrade to at least a 128 MB memory card. If I am missing a major player in this post, its because I havent seen it, but I am willing to research any other camera you all might suggest. I really like the idea of Image stabilization, so that might limit my prospects as well. I am open to any and all suggestions, so please feel free to question me, poke and prod.

Thanks for any input and suggestions
Johnnyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:44 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:50 PM   #3

I have the Kyocera M410R

Most of us users down on Kyocera postings really enjoy it have a look at the PIC POST to see some of our shots:-

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

Its not a very well known model but I think its great for the money.

Here's a review Steves is also good.

http://www.dcmag.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/480/v/1/sp/

Not everyones cup of tea, But we think its a great camera and very good value for money and the results above speak for themselves. Just another make and model to confuse you even more!

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:25 PM   #4

Johnnyrot wrote:
Quote:
I really like the idea of Image stabilization, so that might limit my prospects as well
With ultra-zoom my feeling has always been Image stabilization is a necessity if zooming without a tripod. Maybe my hands just aren't as steady as some but the image stabilization has been a determining factor for me with my last two purchases. Given that and the options you are looking at - I've heard good things about the Z3 and and FZ15 (do some searches in this forum to see the feedback herein). If you plan on doing a lot of handheld zoom shots - I'd avoid anything WITHOUT image stabilization. If your not sure - try out a camera with image stabilization and turn it on and off at full zoom to see the difference.
Personally I have the Minolta A1 (now I would look at the A200) and now am getting the 8800 - but these options have more Mp than you are looking for and are a little more expensive (around $700 internet priced).
cdarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:46 PM   #5

Panasonic FZ3 is the best (low-end) ultra-zoom if you don't care about video... if you care about video then the Canon S1 IS or Konica Minolta Z3 (or maybe the newly announced Z5) are likely better... All these have image stabilization, which I think is important for ultra-zooms (Fuji, Olympus, etc don't have IS)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:03 PM   #6

Great Im gonna go check out the Z5 and the M410rright now, thanks
Old Jan 26, 2005, 2:35 AM   #7

Im still unsure, anymore advice?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:19 AM   #8

I'm biased by my 2 weeks of experience with the camera but I'm going to recommend the Panasonic Lumix line. For a superzoom, I don't think you can beat the 12x (432mm equiv) f2.8 Leica lens. It may cost a bit more but worth every penny.. That said, Before you purchase from any place online, I would suggest you check this out..

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9018.html

Good luck,
Jeff
:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:47 AM   #9

The Fugi S5100 is a good superzoom, that doeswell in low light, macro,plus goodvideo.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:12 AM   #10

The FZ3 does not have manual focus. this may be a problem if you get serious about macro photography or if you want to use some after market conversion lenses.

The S1, does not have macro out of the box, it will focus down to less then 3 inches from your subject, but it will not fill the screen like a macro. However, it does have manual focus, so you can add on any close up lenses you want. If you have the money later, get the canon ones, I myself am saving for the 500D. If not, you can have a set for about $20.

128mb is a little small, get a 512mb, shop around. Also, consider Compact Flash will be cheaper then SD and AA batteries last on average almost twice what proprietary lithiums do.

There are a slew of new cameras coming, I would not bother with them right away. I would Let them work out all the bugs and let the prices come down a whole lot before I would buy one myself...

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote