Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:45 AM   #11

Jack B. Nimble wrote:
Quote:
If you do go Canon, keep in mind there is always the possability of the E18 error. It very rarely occurs, but it is a possabilty, so try not to drop your camera, even if it is built to be able to withstand it.
What's this E18 about? I also got this with my A70 about 3 months ago, and boy I wasn't happy... mainly because it happened about 30 minutes before we started our hike into the mountain. I ended up without a single pic of that mountain. But I don't recall dropping my cam at all. It did drain me about US$18.00 for the repair... electronic gadgets seems to know the righttime to crack is after the warranty expires.

Hi ScoobyDooby, I'm also into backpacking, mostly weekend hiking and camping. I'm using a Canon PowerShot A70. I wouldn't say it's the best cam against the elements out there in the wild but it sure gave me a lot of good pictures without much worry about getting it bruished. Its been to both wet and dry season, hot and cold weather, strong winds and mild rain (I shoot pictures with it during rain showers but not on a downpour), sorry... no snow conditions over here but the risk of precipitation was present on the colder regions,and it actually did pretty well. And guess how I carry it up to the mountains. I just put it inside a zip-lock plastic bag (for waterproofing)and used a chalk-bag to carry it about my waist. :G I'm sure some people would think that I'm so careless with my equipment. Well, its been to half a dozen mountains that way and still working. But that is of course I don't get extremely careless about it. I didn't have the waterproof case, this was because at the time I though of getting one, the staff from Canon advised me not to get it for reason that it leaks. I was told that they are recalling it. I didn't really bother to confirm that issue and I'm not sure about the status of the waterproof case now. And another daring act, I carry it into the beach... up to chest-high water. :G Just don't get it wet. Canon's A-series can be a bit bulky to most, but it suits my preferences well enough. Btw, Jack also mentioned about the A85, I'd say it can be as good if not probably better than the A70.

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:43 PM   #12

The E 18 error effects Canon's smaller models, such as the S and SD series. I didn't know that it affected the A series, but I guess it does.Anyway, the E18 error basically renders your Camera dead until you can get it fixed (which usually takes a bit of time and some cash). It's exclusively a Canon thing as far as I know, but I really don't know as nearly as much about the E18 as others on this site. Soyou may want to try to PS a mod or start a forum on it, as people often ask about it, but not nearly enough know what it is. Let me stress that the E18 error is very rare, so I really wouldn't let it divert you from buying a camera unless you're going to be very rough on your camera.

...ben, is it possible you got your camera wet? I know you use a bag and what not (not a bad idea ), but taking it into the ocean? Even if you don't let the water touch it, I would say that that's just asking for it. Between the humidity, the sand, the sun, and all the random other things that happen at the beach, I would probably worry about taking my camera to the beach. And if I did, I'd definitely use some kind of wrapping, if not a case.

All this talk of the beach reminds me, I once heard the E18 can occur from major temperature shifts. I don't know whether it's true, but it's probably worth considering. As far as I can figure, as long as you treat your camera like it's an expensivebit of electronics, and not a toy, you should be fine. No offense meant Ben...accidents happen.

Best of luck with your on-going search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:49 PM   #13

Jack B. Nimble, thanks for E18 info. I think you may be right with the getting the camera wet. It was inside my bagpack and my bladder (water container) had a leak. This all happened when we were still in the bus. Ironic as the accident happened in the place we would assume to be the safest place for the camera. But anyway, it's been fixed and I just came back with around 150 shots of our hike last weekend.

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:27 PM   #14
KSV

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
damage pins inserting???? :roll:

compactFlash does not oops! try getting a 4gig sd card for the price of CF.

Also sd card so small, you can lose it and have to buy new one. (no I'm not serious!)

honestly, CF is just as good if not better (which is my opinion) then SD. mind you I'm notabove buying SD cards and using a compactflash adapter. that way my investment grows!
Well, saw it twice by my own eyes - however it was card reader - not camera. Probably they doing much better connectors in cameras - I do not know. So I am exercising extreme care when I push CF in my Canon. And it need to be removed frequently because Canon is stupid enough to produce cameras witch can not be seen from PC as external HD - rather one should use VERY ANNOYING Canon's software!

4 GIG? For what? To shoot 400+ in RAW or 1000+ in JPEG? Month worth shooting without review? Probably it is good for some, but I operate in another way. Coming from SLR film I am strong believer that quantity will never became quality and each shoot need to bereviewed and analyzed ASAP - preferably the same evening. One good shot better then 100 rubbish ones. Plus I do not consider my files safe unless I have as least 2 copies, one of those in removable media (CD or DVD). Micro-drives is another story - I will never believe that they reliable enough - mechanical stuff prone to be less rigid than solid state electronic and I personally will not put my monthly shooting on tiny HD. For the same reason I believe that 2 sticks of 512 is better that 1 stick of 1 GIG.

Mind you that I never criticize performance of CF - it is good indeed (as SD or memory stick one). I criticized only PRACTICALITY of CF and extensively using both (CF as well as SD) strongly believe that SD much more practical.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote