Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:52 PM   #1

Hey there.

Was needing some advice about what kinda camera I should buy.

I haven't really looked too deeply into cameras, simply because there are so many and I wouldn't even know where to start.

I plan on gettin this camera for lots of purposes. For vacationing mostly, as my gf and I plan on going backpacking. So I would need something sturdy, something with a large memory capacity and/or a camera withgood memory swapping, ie smartcard etc..

I'm lookin forsomething in the 300-400 range, but if I found a camera that totallyfit the profile, I would be willing to spend a tad more.

4 megapixel seems about good.. I wouldn't be printing these pictures out just yet.. more for archiving on my pc.

I appreciate anyinfothat gets posted here.. it will definitely be the defining force behind the cameras that I seriously look into.

Thanks!
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:40 PM   #2

If I were still a backpacker, I would consider a water-resistant camera such as a Pentax Optio 33WR or 43WR. These are compact, have no separate lens cap to lose, and uses AA's, which in your case might be handy. Unless your photography needs are more specific than what you mentioned, this would be a good place to start looking. Check out the reviews....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:18 PM   #3

PhilR.'s adivice is definetly worth taking into consideration. However, keep in mind that you can always buy a waterproof case for most of the cameras out there. I had thought that perhaps the Canon SD300 or S410 would do well for you, but after the mention of AA batteries, neither looked quite as good (no AA, they both use rechargeables). Also, I believe (could be wrong) that both are affected by the E18 error, which basically kills your camera until you can take it in to a shop. One ultra-compact that struck me while I was typing this though is the Sony W1, small, reliable, great photo quality, and it takes AA batteries. In theory, it should fit you perfectly. One thing you must keep in mind if you intend to buy Sony: their memory cards are more expensive than other brands. I actually own the Sony P150, and I absolutely love it, so if I were you, I'd really think about the W1. Then again, I may be a bit biased

Best of luck with your search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:13 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses guys!

Upon looking at the models mentioned, I realized some more points that I'd like to bring to the table.

First, since we'll be on the road alot without a place to take the photos off (unless I bring a laptop with me ) it would probably be a good idea if I grab a bunch of extra memory for it before I leave.
That said, I'm wondering if there is a camera out there similar to the W1, as that camera is small, looks durable, and is just around the price range I'm looking for.

Also, in buying memory for it, what is the largest size memory stick available, and what type of memory is the best? I've seen all these different formats, from sony's memory stick, to flash memory.

Jack, you definitely hit the nail on the head with that cam tho.. it's just what I had in mind. Thanks!

Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:20 PM   #5
KSV

About memory. CF (IMHO) is total c**p - it is quite easy to damage pins in camera if you replace one in hurry. SD is heaps better - virtually bullet prof, and it is one of the cheapest around. Sony's memory stick is kinda good - but most expencive. Do not buy one huge piece - IMHO better to have couple of smaller one. Also on long trips I am using X-Drive (portable self-powered 40 GB hard-drive, you can put your memory in it's slot and copy contents from memory to HD without computer). Although with memory prices drop it is no so appealing anymore, but still can be an option. There are more expensive models around witch can be even use to review your photos. For high independence battery is very important issue - I would not consider anything except AA

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:57 PM   #6

damage pins inserting???? :roll:

compactFlash does not suck! try getting a 4gig sd card for the price of CF.

Also sd card so small, you can lose it and have to buy new one. (no I'm not serious!)

honestly, CF is just as good if not better (which is my opinion) then SD. mind you I'm notabove buying SD cards and using a compactflash adapter. that way my investment grows!
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:46 PM   #7

alright.. so CF would be the way to go.

So then I guess my next question is what kind of camera uses CF and is around the same price as the w1, maybe cheaper, and about as small?

Also, why would it not be a good idea to get 1gb CF card, instead of a bunch of 256 or 512?

thanks for your responses!!
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:05 PM   #8

Right then, if you want to stick with CF and stay similar to the W1, I would say the the S400, S410, and S500 all fit the description very well (all Canon's). Other Canon's to consider would be the SD300 and perhaps the A85 (a bit biger than the others though). The S400 and 410 are both 4 MP and are built to be rugged with their all metal casing. They both start around $250 and end near $400, so shopping around is highly advised. If you do go Canon, keep in mind there is always the possability of the E18 error. It very rarely occurs, but it is a possabilty, so try not to drop your camera, even if it is built to be able to withstand it. No offense meant, but it's always good to know just in case

Another thing you need to consider, if you are determined to go with Compact Flash, do you type 1 or type 2? There's not much difference as far as I know, besides the fact that the type 2 is smaller. With that said, I feel I need to voice one more defence ofSony. I own a 512 Memory Stick Pro, and it is really very fast.With it, Ivery rarely ever miss a picture, and then it's because my timing is off.

As to whether you should carry many smaller cards or one big one, the way I figure, why risk it? One large memory stick has always worked for me. That way, it's near impossible to misplace (as it's always in your camera). Why risk losing one of many 256's when you don't have to? If you do take the route of using one huge memory card/stick, it's absolutely necissary to buy from a reputable company. With one large memory stick, if it get's corrupted, it's over. Keep in mind that memory very very rarely does get corrupted, but it is possible.

Regardless, have fun on your trip and good luck with your search!~Jack (who is very envious of your trip, I'd love to backpack Europe myself)

Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:57 PM   #9

Very good info all of you; thank you allfor your wisdoms!

Good points Jack^.. no need to be envious tho. You will get back there one day!

I haven't done all that much travelling, but now that I'm done with the first part of my schooling its time to get a move on.

I agree with what you said about the memory. I would rarely be needing to switch up sticks, if at all. Do all digital cameras let you swicth the mps at which you take photos? Becuase I'm sure there will be times where I won't need to have very large shots, and probably more times where I will want to save some space on my memory stick.

If I were to get some memory, I would most likely go with Kingston. I like their products, and I have two sticks of their ram in my pc which run like gold.

I've looked into cameras mentioned, the s400, 410, and sd300. They all look very nice and have the specs I'm lookin into. I will try and shop around to see what the best price I can find would be obvsiously, but so far they are the contenders.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:16 PM   #10

Check out long zoom cameras too, especially if your not as worried about quality vs capacity. The ability to get 10x closer to scenic things is a god send.

Either way, all those cameras give you the option of lower quality to save space.

I would also look into a camera that uses AA's Batteries, they are easy to buy at anytime/ anywhere in case of emergencies, or when there is no power! (it happens)
They will also last longer then most proprietary batteries.

Anyhow, most cameras take CF and AA batteries. I prefer these more open source technologies, why not let them improve them? Besides,it just makes too much economic sense!

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote