Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

OK, first let me start by thanking Steve for this incredible site. Ive been using it for at least a year now.

I am looking to buy a new camera to replace my two camera's. A Sony DSC-P72 and a 35MM SLR Pentax. Im tired of needing 2 camera's.

The P72 for some reason now takes 9 out of 10 blury shots. And, between shots, it takes like 8 seconds to be able to take another shot, which is horrible if you have a kid and want to catch the action. My 35 MM is just that, was a gift 2 years ago, Im not a pro, but its a nice camera.

What do I want? I want a camera that does pictures and video. I want a really nice zoom ability, but most I want it to not stall for so long between shots. Id like it to be somewhat compact, but not small by any means. I dont need some high value MP as I dont print my pictures at home. So, as long as its 4MP or higher that is fine.

Id like it to be less then $1,000. Decent battery life that is rechargable. Im looking at the Coolpix 8800, but get the feeling that its too much camera for simple me?

Thanks in advance to anyone who sends advice. I really want this next camera to be something I dont replace for 2 years or more.

Thanks!
scottk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:56 PM   #2
KSV

If you really about a quality pix, then my advise would be go to DSLR (you mention that size is not bother you much) Pentax *istDS is reasonably small and you can reutilize your lenses from your film camera, plus you can easy find one under $1000. Nikon D70 incredibly quick, but more expensive and little bulkier. Sorry, there is no video in DSLR, but videofrom digital still cameras is (IMHO) c**p anyway and I would not even bother myself about this option
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:12 PM   #3

You may want to consider the Canon S1 IS. It is an ultra zoom (10x optical) with very good picture quality and great movies. Unfortunately, it is only 3.2 MP (if you keep it to 8x10 and under with minimal cropping, you should be fine). You might also consider looking at the Panasonic FZ line. Considered the best ultra-zooms by many if you can settle with 320x240 video (on the FZ20, latest model).

If you prefer to godown the size route, the Sony W1 probably would work very well. It is an ultra-compact with great picture quality, good video, and is very responsive. It has 3x optical zoom (keep in mind it is much smaller than the S1 IS). I own the Sony P150, which I absolutely love. It is much like the W1, except smaller, more MP, band more expensive. Of the two though, IMHO, it sounds like you'd be happier with the W1.

Ultimately thought, it sounds like you'd be happiest with an ultra-zoom. Of course DSLR's take better pictures, but they don't have movies, and I doubt you'll be able to find a good one with all the necissary accessories (lenses and such)for under $1000.

Best of luck with your search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:13 PM   #4
blr

Actually there are digicams that can take decent video clips. My advice is to look at cameras such as Pentax Optio c750 or Olympus C7000. These are both 7 MP cameras, more than you need really, but otherwize they fit in your requirements. Both have a good zoom range, are reasonably compact (much smaller than a DSLR) and take good video clips and a good stills of course. From the two perhaps the Pentax is slightly better. It takes 640x480 resolution clips @30 fps limited only by the space on the memory card and has a swiwel LCD screen. Furthermore it uses cheaper memory cards. Sony DSC-V3 is another alternative. It's bulkier but has a bigger screen. Yet another alternative that comes to mind is the Fujifilm Finepix F810. It is small, has a big screen, takes good video clips and is perhaps the most responsive of all the above mentioned cams. It may well be the cheapest too, but this is offset by the fact that it uses the most expensive memory cards.

Perhaps it is worth to take a trip to your local camera store and play with some of these cameras.

Hope this helps.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:38 PM   #5
KSV

Sorry, but I disagree with you. Even if it is *TECHNICALLY* possible to have a good resolution movie from DC (even my old Canon A60 can do it) IMHO *PRACTICALLY* it is useless. Sound (especially when you use descent zoom) is disgusting - tiny mikes in DC is a poor joke. But more important even the fact that video camera need to be hold very steady to get good shoot witch is impossible to achieve with small DC. You can say that not-so-good movie is still better that nothing, but my opinion is good photo is much better that c***y movie :-) But again it is just my opinion :-)

[b]digicams that can take decent video clips. My advice is to look at cameras such as Pentax Optio c750 or Olympus C7000. These are both 7 MP cameras, more than you need really, but otherwize they fit in your requirements. Both have a good zoom range, are reasonably compact (much smaller than a DSLR) and take good video clips and a good stills of course. From the two perhaps the Pentax is slightly better. It takes 640x480 resolution clips @30 fps limited only by the space on the memory card and has a swiwel LCD screen. Furthermore it uses cheaper memory cards. Sony DSC-V3 is another alternative. It's bulkier but has a bigger screen. Yet another alternative that comes to mind is the Fujifilm Finepix F810. It is small, has a big screen, takes good video clips and is perhaps the most responsive of all the above mentioned cams. It may well be the cheapest too, but this is offset by the fact that it uses the most expensive memory cards.

Perhaps it is worth to take a trip to your local camera store and play with some of these cameras.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:14 AM   #6
blr

KSV wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree with you. Even if it is *TECHNICALLY* possible to have a good resolution movie from DC (even my old Canon A60 can do it) IMHO *PRACTICALLY* it is useless. Sound (especially when you use descent zoom) is disgusting - tiny mikes in DC is a poor joke. But more important even the fact that video camera need to be hold very steady to get good shoot witch is impossible to achieve with small DC. You can say that not-so-good movie is still better that nothing, but my opinion is good photo is much better that c***y movie :-) But again it is just my opinion :-)

[/quote]
The original poster asked for a digital still camera that can take good quality video clips. I understand this as good quality video compared to other digital photo cameras, that is 640x480 pixels per frame at 30 fps with sound limited by available memory. I don't know what you mean by "descent zoom" but most digital cameras nowadays cannot zoom optically during video recording because zoom noise spoils the sound. IMO, the quality of 640x480 @30 fps videos from photo cameras are acceptable for occasionalplaying on a TV screen. It is not as goodas a camcorder, but it works. The main problem to me is not that much the video quality but the memory consumption. Hi res video clips take over 1MB/sec. This is less than 10 min of video on a 512 MB card. If you have Fuji, Olympus or Sony camera that use more expensive memory it becomes expensive. I could buy a cheap camcorder for the price of 3 (three) 512 MBXD cards.

Good photo quality is of course more important
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:13 AM   #7

scottk,

I would look into the Sony V3. The shot-to-shot time is excellent and the shutter lag is down into the dSLR range. The V3 uses a holographic laser focusing system that is currently the best in the market in terms of speed and accuracy. For a digital still camera, the video quality is excellent, especially if you are using MemoryStick Pro. You are not limited to only using MemoryStick, as it has a second slot for Compact Flash. The build on the camera is extremely robust, and has a great feel in your hand. It is fairly easy to carry around all day. By no means a sub-compact, but much easier to slide into a pocket than a dSLR w/ lenses. Also, if you takemany low light photos, the "NightFraming" of the V3 will alow you to frame and focus your shot even in total darkness. The zoom is only 4X, but with 7.2 megapixels, you may be able to get a little "closer" in your printsif you do a little "zooming" in software.

Good luck with your search,

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:08 PM   #8

i am extremely happy with the pentax optio 750z
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:41 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses. I am shocked at the replies. I thought everyone would say either Nikon or Canon. I guess I have alot of studying to do before I buy a camera. What a shame my Sony doesnt cut it, I thought when I bought it I would be happy with it.
scottk is offline   Reply With Quote