Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:43 PM   #1

I've been researching for a good quality digital SLR for quite some time now. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

Nikon D70

Canon 20D

At first I started looking at the Nikon D70 since I already own a Nikon N80 and have a great lens (Nikon AF-S VR 24-120mm) and a Nikon SB-600 speedlight. However, this is the only Nikon lens I own and my wife still uses the N80 a lot. Also, I noticed that lots of reviews indicate that the D70 has moire problems and seems to be slow at focusing in low light. Therefore, I did some more research on the Net and found that the Canon 20D seems to be a great dSLR with good reviews. I took a look at my local camera store and noticed that they have a Canon 20D with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens which would be within my tight budget. I would need to wait a while until I can get a Canon flash and second lens. Does it make sense or should I stick to Nikon? Is the picture quality really different between the D70 and the 20D?

Most of my pics will consist of indoor group people pics and I am planning on printing mostly 4x6" with the odd 8x10" for really impressive pics.
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:24 AM   #2

From what I read, the moire problem is something that's related to / can be corrected by software.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...Nikon_d70.html

For 4x6, and sometimes 8x10, 6 MP resolution is fine -- the 20D will rarely have a significant advantage. Differences in lenses, exposure, etc. will typically have much greater influence. Of course, there will be some differences due to differences in the sensor and image processing, but my point is that these will tend to be relatively minor.

The D70 is a nice camera, and getting into a second system for some slight advantages at a greater price, having to learn and maintain two different sets of accessories, lenses, etc., does not seem prudent from my perspective.

Unless of course you or your partner wish to have less interchangeability between the system that you use and the one used by your partner.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:38 AM   #3

I am the proud owner of the Canon 20D which is one great camera. However, I concur with Madwand. I would recommend the you purchase the Nikon.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I also have a 20D and love it, but the D70 is cheaper, which means you can use the extra cash to build up your lens collection for both your Nikon bodies. You will also be able to use your flashgun.

For the size prints you want the D70 would be fine. I'd stick with the Nikon system.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:37 AM   #5

I have a Canon 20D also. The indoor photos came out too dark until I compensate the built-in flash exposure by +2/3 stop for all my indoor photos. Also, if you shoot in the auto mode with the built-in flash, the shutter speed defaults to 1/60 second, which is a bit slow if your hand is not perfectly still in a room with incandescent lighting (mixed lighting with the flash). So your photos will not come out that sharp and the backgound will come out yellow due to the indoor lights, unless you go into the shutter speed priority mode at 1/250 second using the flash and ISO set at 200 or higher. Then you can get a great shot. With that in mind, if you're looking for a quick point-and-shoot camera, the Canon 20D is not the one you want. I don't know about the D70 because I don't have one. I find that with studio lights, the Canon 20D gives really great portraits.
Attached Images

PYoung2493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:23 AM   #6

In addition to the Canon 20D, I also have a Fuji S3. Here is a photo from the S3 of the same model during the same photo session with the same studio strobes. Both photos were taken right out of the cameras with no adjustments. Only change was reduction in size to 500 pixels wide for this forum.

P.S. - I am partially color blind, so I would like to get a few opinions fromreaderson which of the 2 camera photos has better color right out of the camera. Both photos were set for auto white balance.

Attached Images

PYoung2493 is offline   Reply With Quote