Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:32 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm looking to get my first digital camera. I've been shooting for the past five years with my Olympus XA (a compact manual focus camera--a classic). Before that I used a Pentax SLR with 2-3 lenses, but found myself not carrying it around enough, so I switched to my trusty compact.

It's time for me to get a zoom and go digital. I want to keep the compact size. If I really get into the hobby I'll get a superzoom or dslr to go with it.

I had been looking at the Optio Series, but I think I like the SD200 better. Especially since it can usually be found for $250 or less.

On vacation I take a lot of shots of landscapes, buildings, twilight, etc. Not the best for a compact, I know. I want something that won't distort the picture at wide angle.

The biggest I'll ever print is 8x10, and I doubt I'd really do that.

I realized that I may want some degree of manual control, but how useful are those on digital cameras? I mean, is it practical to go focus each shot through a menu or mess with the shutter priority? And, does it affect the shot much when everything else is processed automatically?

So then I considered the F810 and S70. The S70 is too big for me. I need something that will fit in a pocket. The F810 is ok on size, but $150 more and uses XD (not such a big deal for me).

I also thought of buying a dsc-v1 for $300, but I think that might be too thick. I liked the dsc-w1, but it doesn't have enough manual features to make the size worth it.

What should I go for? Will I notice a difference in my user experience (speed, image quality, etc.)? Is the flexibility worth the price and size difference?

Thanks!

PS - I need the camera for a trip on March 5, so I can't wait to see what new cameras come out at PMA...Like an elph with manual controls or something.
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:33 PM   #2

Just a bump to say that I'm still listening.
leland is offline   Reply With Quote