Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:43 PM   #11

Congratulations – you figured out how to exclude the EXIF data. This is what the Irfanview save dialog looks like. Start with the original and "Save as" with the "Keep original EXIF data" checked. Irfanview is free. If your image editor doesn't let you resize and save the EXIF then you might want to download it at http://www.irfanview.com It is a great little freeware.

It looks like you tried to handhold a shot without enough light and got camera shake. Every other digital pocket camera in the world would have given about the same shot if that is the case. You just have to learn to use it. For that shot you need a tripod or at least steady the camera on something. We will know when you figure out how to get us the EXIF data for the shot.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:08 AM   #12

okee dokee.
Attached Images

fakemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:01 AM   #13

From what I heard, the W1 requires some adjustments in its settings before you can eliminate the majority of the blurring problem that you've been experiencing. Its just something simple but I can't remember what it was.

Like what the others have said, the camera needs to be steady and in low light (like indoors), you have to have more lighting and shoot with a slower exposure (hope this is the right term to describe it). That's why people use tripod but that shouldn't excuse the camera from taking poor shots.

I've also taken some blurry photos with my Canon, only because when I press the button I accidently move the camera a bit. I think the Panasonic is better for people with shaky hands since it comes with the stability feature.
Informer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:53 PM   #14

Thanks for all the expert help, everybody. The consensus is that I am a camera-shaker, and I accept that. I can try using a tripod more often, or steadying my arms against a wall.

I still have a question though: with my previous cameras (Fuji 2600Z and Olympus 540D-Z) I never really had this problem. Maybe I wasn't asking as much of them, since the Sony is so fast I often whip it out to take pictures. But because the shutter lag on the Sony is so fast, I thought it would be better at minimizing shake-blur problems. Is that incorrect?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:18 PM   #15

Just a guess: I haven't handled the W1 myself, but reviewers mention the extremely responsive shutter release, which can fire even before the autofocus is ready. It may be because you are used to cameras that require a focusing half-press, and which won't fire until they are good and ready, that you are applying too much pressure before you've completely steadied the camera and are thus getting a premature release. This is certainly my habit, anyway: point - frame - prefocus - steady - squeeze. Perhaps you could try to consciously keep your finger away from the shutter release until the camera's still, and see if that makes a difference in your pictures.
pokeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:09 PM   #16

I've been using the W1 for about 1/2 a year now, and from my experience, I noticed that problem with blurry pics occurs when shooting in auto mode, when even in sunny outdoor conditions it shoots at 1/40 or 1/50. That combined with the sensitive button, is probably the problem.

Try using the camera in manual mode, it improves the shot quality and let's you customize much better, and most importantly, you will be able to avoid the blurry pics most of the time. Just set it to 1/125 or 1/160 and you'll be fine...even 1/80 will do.

For the price, I think it's a steal...I would never trade it for a Canon sd300 or even the s500 simply because there is no manual mode in those cameras.
Owsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:48 PM   #17

After three days of DSC-W1 experience with indoor, outdoor, night, and macro shots, I've had ZERO blurry pictures in Auto, Program, and Manual modes. Either I have a good camera or I just know how to take pictures.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:44 PM   #18

sherpa wrote:
Quote:
. . . or I just know how to take pictures.
"he said with a smug air of self-satisfaction."