Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1

i'm ready to buy a camera , but unsure beetwen these two, can you give me advice which one is best? my interest most off all is macro,night shot. thanks before.
chrisindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:57 AM   #2

You need a tripod for night shots, so the stabilization would be turned off anyway. Many people use a tripod for macro work as well, so the same would apply.

I have an FZ10 and really like it for outdoor nature photography. It is a poor choice IMO for a general-purpose family camera though. The flash is weak, the viewfinder is difficult to use in low light, there is no focus assist light and the manual focus distance doesn't display in the viewfinder. I have four digital cameras and the FZ10 would be my absolute last choice for indoor flash photography. I do have a flash unit for it to make up for the weak internal flash, but you can't really see expressions in low light to take the picture with the flash unit because the EVF and LCD don't gain up. And if the camera doesn't focus on its own you can't focus manually with the dark viewfinder and no distance readout.

The FZ20 fixed some of the FZ10 problems. It has a good internal flash and focus assist light. But it still has the dark viewfinder and no manual focus distance readout.

The 770 is a lot more compact than the FZ10 and is a little better in low light flash photography. The FZ10 has a faster lens at telephoto and great burst capability.

You don't usually use the zoom for macro photography. Most cameras become less capable of capturing small areas as you zoom out. The FZ10 takes an area many times smaller at full wide than it does at telephoto and I presume the 770 is about the same – in super macro modethe 770sets the focal length at a fixed setting near wide angle. Both cameras have problems with the lens blocking the flash in macro at wide angle.

dpreview had this to say about the macro on the FZ20, which I think is exactly the same as the FZ10:
" As is common in zoom cameras the FZ20's macro capabilities are much better at the wide end of the zoom (5cm subject distance capturing an area around 43mm across), and there is inevitably some barrel distortion (and some color fringing). At the full 12x zoom position the close focus ability is less impressive - a subject distance of 200cm capturing an area around 12cm across, but there is no distortion at all."

Extreme zoom shots are also somewhat rare for night photography. I'm wondering why you are looking at super-zooms for macro and night photography. There might be better choices if you don't need the extreme telephoto capability.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:47 PM   #3

I was in the same boat as you, after comparing all data for about a month now, I have decided to go with the FZ15 they are very close in price to the FZ10, but I felt the FZ15 had a little more to offer. The C-770 from what I have read is a very fine camera, but if you want Ultra Zoom, you need image stabilization, and only the Konica Minolta F3 and the Panasonic lines have it.
Johnnyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:05 AM   #4

Johnnyrot wrote:
Quote:
I was in the same boat as you, after comparing all data for about a month now, I have decided to go with the FZ15 they are very close in price to the FZ10, but I felt the FZ15 had a little more to offer.* The C-770 from what I have read is a very fine camera, but if you want Ultra Zoom, you need image stabilization, and only the Konica Minolta F3 and the Panasonic lines have it.
I have the C770UZ and I'd say there is absolutely nothing wrong with this camera, very compact, great pictures and easy to use.

However, if you value IS as a major feature for your camera, then the Panasonic is the better choice. The Panasonic has the better lens too but then this means a bigger size too.

There are some who bought the FZs for the 12X Leica lens but ended up returning the camera, not because of the quality as they are excellent, but because the cameras are just too big for comfortable daily use.

This is also a major reason why I didn't get the FZ20 instead chose the C770UZ. Some compromises have to be made and it's a matter of putting the priorities right in choosing the right camera.

You'll have to choose between lens quality, size, weight, camera shape/ergonomy, price and features. Put the priorities in order of preference/importance and you should have a great final candidate.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote