Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:28 PM   #11

davej wrote:
Quote:
kazaan wrote:
Quote:
I have seen many comments around on blurred pics on P150 in low light and that has been bugging me a lot...any comments?
I was worried by these comments too. I got some interesting info from the following thread at Imaging Resource. See my post on Jan 12, Maxx's reply on Jan 25 and following discussion...

http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]/17

Remember to come back to Steve's afterwards!
Wow ...that was a pretty impressive link...so it seems its more of human error on the blurry pics.

And Dave, I am back to Steve's :lol:

Thanks,
Kaz
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:36 PM   #12

Jack B. Nimble wrote:
Quote:
Kaz:

In conclusion, I absolutely love the P150, and I would highly recommend it (or it's successors) to anyone who might read this.

Best of luck with the search!~Jack
Thanks a lot Jack! Glad to know you are happy with P150.

I dont drink coffee too much :lol:, maybe i will get away with blurry shots.

You are right...i wanted ultra-compact and if i get some manual controls then so be it. I am still a Novice...so it be injustice for SLR in my hands

About the red eye...i read somewhere P150 does good job...maybe its just a low percentage thing then

Thanks a lot once again Jack!

Waiting for P200 or a great deal on P150
Kaz.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:27 AM   #13

OK, as a happy IXUS 40 (SD300) owner, I will attempt to make a few points of its behalf.

1) Movie mode - it takes very good 640x480 at 30fps and is unlimited in length. There is some conjecture (search in the sony and canon forums) that Sony only have interlaced 640x480 - not as good quality. The 320x240 60fps is a bit gimmicky and probably would look worse blown up on a TV screen but is meant for high-speed action like a golf swing that would look jerky at 30fps It is the only movie mode limited to 60sec. You can also change between sizes and speeds for movies at lot ie 640x480 at 30/15 fps, 320x240 at 60/30/15fps and also 160x120 at 15fps.

2) Size - the Canon is a lot smaller and seems even more so in my opinion due to the shape of the Sony - it's a wide rectangle shape which negates how small it is in depth and height.

3) LCD - 2" for the Canon v 1.8" for the Sony

4) Quality - as far as I understand, the megapixel difference would make no difference at 1600x1200 since both cameras can take pictures much larger. Clearly the Sony would win out in the end when blowing up it's maximum size pictures

5) The Canon uses cheaper and more universal (ie when buying your next camera or sharing with friends etc) SD cards vs the Sony Memory Sticks. Note also the Canon can use regular SD cards for 640x480 at 30fps whereas the Sony requires Memory Stick Pro.

OK those are my thoughts. I suggest also that the Sony L1 is a more obvious competitor to the SD300 in size and megapixels so check that out. Also, to save even more money, if you are going to mainly shoot 1600x1200, you could use the SD200 instead. Cheers and hope this helps, Jonathan
jkmng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:19 PM   #14

thanks to everyone who replied. initially i was comparing pictures in internet explorer (big mistake!!) and that was why i was happy with 1600x1200. after downloading them, although the sd300 seems nice, i was amazed by 7mp pics ofthe p150. in addition,from what i've read, video, low light and battery life are all great so i think i'm going to wait for the p200 to be released.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thanks to everyone who gave input!! :-)
wael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:55 AM   #15

wael...keep me informed about any deal u find on p200... i will do the same :-)

hey jack...

are the TWO ONLY aperture settings sufficient to give good manual control. I am a beginner so i am guessing it wil work for me.

In the movie mode, does p150 try to autofocus? I heard its not in the case of sd300..is that right "jkmng"?

thanks
kaz
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:35 AM   #16

boththe p150 nor the sd300 are unable to change zoom settings while recording. the m1 on the other hand is able to...
wael is offline   Reply With Quote