Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:47 AM   #1

i'm debating between the sony p150 and the canon sd300. if anyone could answer these questions i would appreciate it:

-given that most of my pics will be roughly 1600x1200, will the p150's 7.2 megapixels produce better pics than the sd300's 4megapixels? i don't print many pics at all.

-has anyone triedthe canon sd300's 60fps? is it significantly better fullscreen than the p150's640x480, 30fps video?

-and most importantly, other than price and size, is there any reason why i should choose the sd300 over the p150?

thanks to everyone! :-)

wael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:16 PM   #2

The competitor to the Sony P150 is the Canon S70 (not SD300). THe SD300 is ultra-compact and very small... The S70 and P150 have similar specs and size...

Quote:
-given that most of my pics will be roughly 1600x1200, will the p150's 7.2 megapixels produce better pics than the sd300's 4megapixels? i don't print many pics at all.
You have to ask someone more experienced and knowledgeable than me. This is a tough one... the P150 has more megapixels but its sensor is bigger too. If the sensor size were the same, then the one with the more megapixels would have more noise (assuming the sensor technology is same). However, this is a case where one camera has more megapixels and bigger sensor, while the other has less MP and smaller sensor... so I don't know...

Quote:
-has anyone tried the canon sd300's 60fps? is it significantly better fullscreen than the p150's 640x480, 30fps video?
Don't know... see if Steve's (this site) or dcresource.com have videos (Steve usually has clips at the end in the photo gallery, while dcresource.com has it near the end of the review). Might want to download both videos and see if you see any difference...

Quote:
-and most importantly, other than price and size, is there any reason why i should choose the sd300 over the p150?
Assuming the noise is the same (which I don't know because of the difficulty I mentioned above), there is no reason to pick SD300 over P150 if you do not care about price and size.... In other words, the only reason I would pick the SD300 over P150 is for size.

In any case, the competitor to the P150 is the Canon S70. Compare those two... if you want something very small then you should look at Canon SD300 and its competitors like the Panasonic FX7...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:00 PM   #3

I own the P150 and I absolutely love it. It's actually very small, much smaller than the S70. It's about the size of a Nokia cell phone.The only reason I could see to buy the sd300 over the P150 would be if you are buying a camera for a lot of outdoor activities such as hiking. It's all metal housing makes it a bit sturdier than the P150. Also, if you wait a few weeks, I believe the P200 is coming out in February, which is basically the P150 with a 2" screen.

Best of luck with your search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:02 PM   #4

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
The competitor to the Sony P150 is the Canon S70 (not SD300). THe SD300 is ultra-compact and very small... The S70 and P150 have similar specs and size...

Quote:
You have to ask someone more experienced and knowledgeable than me. This is a tough one... the P150 has more megapixels but its sensor is bigger too. If the sensor size were the same, then the one with the more megapixels would have more noise (assuming the sensor technology is same). However, this is a case where one camera has more megapixels and bigger sensor, while the other has less MP and smaller sensor... so I don't know...

Quote:
-has anyone tried the canon sd300's 60fps? is it significantly better fullscreen than the p150's 640x480, 30fps video?
Don't know... see if Steve's (this site) or dcresource.com have videos (Steve usually has clips at the end in the photo gallery, while dcresource.com has it near the end of the review). Might want to download both videos and see if you see any difference...

Quote:
Assuming the noise is the same (which I don't know because of the difficulty I mentioned above), there is no reason to pick SD300 over P150 if you do not care about price and size.... In other words, the only reason I would pick the SD300 over P150 is for size.

In any case, the competitor to the P150 is the Canon S70. Compare those two... if you want something very small then you should look at Canon SD300 and its competitors like the Panasonic FX7...

sivaram, thanks for replying. i haven't found any site that has 60fps video of the sd300 yet. all the video is 30fps. also, i need the camera to have 640x480, 30fps video, and i want it small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. the panasonic px7 doesn't have that video capability, and the s70 is just too big (i'm even hesitant about the p150's size). that's why i've narrowed it down to the sd300 and p150, but i'm still struggling to rule either one out.

if anyone knows whether the p150's extra megapixels will benefit me in 1600x1200 shots i would really appreciate it! :-)
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:01 AM   #5

thanks jack, i am curious as to what they improve in the p200 (other than the lcd) and housing
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:08 PM   #6

wael wrote:
Quote:
thanks jack, i am curious as to what they improve in the p200 (other than the LCD) and housing

I really am not sure much has changed besides the size and the LCD. I don't think there was actually all that much to improve upon in the first place. It may also be a little faster. I think we'll have to wait until it us officially released to the public and reviewed to get all the specs. It sounds like the ideal ultra-compact, and based from my experiences with the P150, it will live up to all of its expectations.

Best of luck with the decision!~Jack
Old Jan 30, 2005, 2:34 PM   #7

Jack B. Nimble wrote:
Quote:
wael wrote:
Quote:
thanks jack, i am curious as to what they improve in the p200 (other than the LCD) and housing

I really am not sure much has changed besides the size and the LCD. I don't think there was actually all that much to improve upon in the first place. It may also be a little faster. I think we'll have to wait until it us officially released to the public and reviewed to get all the specs. It sounds like the ideal ultra-compact, and based from my experiences with the P150, it will live up to all of its expectations.

Best of luck with the decision!~Jack
Hey Jack!

Its great to know you own P150.
After many weeks of intense research, I had narrowed to P150 and SD300. But given the additional manual controls on P150, i chose over it. I would have have bought it, but then P200 is right there --> :-) so i decided to wait.

I wanted to get first hand information on P150 performance.

I have seen many comments around on blurred pics on P150 in low light and that has been bugging me a lot...any comments?

on the manual mode, it has only two aperture settings. Do you find it still gives you enough manual controls or does it cut down the freedom given by shutter speed control?

has red-eye been REALLY solved? (i know sd300 has it)

Is the auto-focussing fast or do u still have to wait for a while?

Thanks a lot for your time n comments!

Kaz.
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 2:40 PM   #8

wael wrote:
Quote:
i'm debating between the sony p150 and the canon sd300. if anyone could answer these questions i would appreciate it:

thanks to everyone! :-)
Hi Wael,

I spent researching about 3 weeks on just these two camera's :-)

Q1 --> From dpreview.com, seems P-150 7.2MP packs a lot of info compared to other 7MP because of the compression inside (me doesnt know exactly what it means)

Q2 --> 60fps is limitied to 60sec on SD300.

Q3 --> I think both are very small and both can go into your pockets wherever cell can go. BUT SD300 supposedly has a better editing software package.

Additional comment --> I am inclined on Sony due to manual controls on it.

If i am wrong, feel free to correct me.

Me is waiting for P200, unless Sony or Canon release even better models on the PMA show in mid February.

Good Luck,
Kaz.
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:52 PM   #9

Kaz:

I actually have had 0 blurred pictures so far. It seems to me that it's possible that Sony has generated a small percentage of the P150 with some kind of defect. That's the only way I can think of to explain all of the complaints. You do have to hold the camera correctly (not a problem unless you're addicted to coffee ) and press the shutter halfway first (if you press it it down all the way at once, it will just take the picture, not auto-focus). Maybe one out of everyfew thousandowners of the P150 have the problem of blurred pictures (a complete guess) and then it's usually just from human error. The one's with the seriousproblem are just much more vocal about it than the happy users.

About manual mode, if you're buying the P150, you're buying it for size more than anything else. Accept it, even though it takes great pictures, high quality video, and a whole slew of other options, size is the most important thing to ultra-compact owners. However, I have found the manual options on the P150 really entertaining and actually helpful.I have no complaints about the existing modes at all.If you're buying exclusively for manual though, go with the S70 or a dSLR.

I have gotten some red eye in group shots, but in individual shots, I have yet to see any demonic red. I really couldn't tell you why it shows up in group shots, you'd have to ask someone with much more knowledge than myself.

I find the Auto-focus to be very fast and accurate. With my S70 (I exchanged it for my P150 because of size and shutter lag, as I detest shutter lag) you had to wait a bit for the camera to lock it's AF. With the P150, it's as fast as the snap of your fingers (maybe just a wee bit of exaggeration, but not much!)

In conclusion, I absolutely love the P150, and I would highly recommend it (or it's successors) to anyone who might read this.

Best of luck with the search!~Jack
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:24 PM   #10

kazaan wrote:
Quote:
I have seen many comments around on blurred pics on P150 in low light and that has been bugging me a lot...any comments?
I was worried by these comments too. I got some interesting info from the following thread at Imaging Resource. See my post on Jan 12, Maxx's reply on Jan 25 and following discussion...

http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]/17

Remember to come back to Steve's afterwards!
davej is offline   Reply With Quote