Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:09 AM   #1

I currently use the Canon G5, which I love, but for studio work it lacks an important item I need/want. I want to be able to send the picture to my laptop for the customers immediate review and not have them straining their eyes looking at the LCD. Canon has remote capture but that involves me operating the camera from the laptop...not what I want. Can anyone suggest a digital camera, either point and shoot or DSLR that has the above mentioned capability? Or if anyone knows of software that would enable the same results, that information would be useful also.

Thanks

Todd
ToddLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:49 AM   #2

Uploading the image through USB to the laptop is too inconvenient/too slow? I am guessing that is the cheapest and simplest solution (take a few images, upload to laptop via USB, preview)...

I don't know if the G5 has an AV out but another choice is to hook up the AV out cable to a TV or a computer with TV-in video card. The resolution on the tv is pretty low but this is a quick technique (take picture, hook up AV cable, switch to review mode, image shows up on screen)...

The only problem with these methods is that the AV or USB cables are kind of short and I don't know how far away your laptop is from the camera (although you can transfer and then move the laptop closer to your clients)...

Some of the higher end DSLRs (and maybe even prosumers--not sure) have wireless connections. THat is the ideal solution but most cameras still don't have WI-FI or anything...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. The G5 does have the AV out. I will try it out in the home studio before I attempt it on locations. Thanks again!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:12 PM   #4

ToddLight wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The G5 does have the AV out. I will try it out in the home studio before I attempt it on locations. Thanks again!
You haven't addressed USB... What's wrong with using the USB cable to output to the laptop (after taking the pics)? Too slow?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:48 AM   #5

I've done several parties last year where I took tons of pics. I only shoot in RAW files and that can take some time transfering to the laptop. I normally take 2 shoots per person/group at my events and allow them to review them and pick the one they want. I need to be able to send my pics directly to the laptop for immediate review, and with the USB cable plugged in it shuts down the camera and only allows transfer functions or to use the remote capture software. There has to be a camera that will allow me to do this...I just haven't found it yet. I'm gonna try the AV idea and see how that works. Thanks for your help.

Todd