Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1

I am considering buying the Canon Powershot Pro 1. A week or two ago someone stated Canon may have some problems with this camera but they provided no details. Does anyone have any knowledge of this or if this is a good buy. I have read the review and am ready to buy it. Thanks,
sgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:16 PM   #2

Most of the high-end prosumers have "shortcomings" and the Pro1 has a lot of controversy around it. I would really avoid it right now (especially since Canon may announce another version in February--just a guess)...

The Pro1 had horrible problems taking pictures initially. It was very slow to focus and take the pics (especially moving objects). Supposedly this was improved upon in the patch but I'm not sure how much...

Pro1 also supposedly has poor ISO performance.. I think it gets noisy past ISO100, compared to other high-end prosumers...

If I wanted a high-end prosumer, I would look at Olympus 8080 or one of the newer Nikons or something... but ideally, if you are spending the kind of money you will be spending on a high-end prosumer, I would wait to see if anything comes out by March or thereabouts...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:04 PM   #3

Canon Pro1 with the latest firmware is a capable performer. It fixes lots of the focus issues wich has been pointed out in reviews and it makes the zomm more responsive.

The negative i would say is poor battery life and no image stabilization. Noise past ISO100. And it is expensive compared to the Minolta A200 and Olympus 8080.
Vemund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:41 PM   #4

I purchased a Pro 1 about 5 mounts ago and so far so good.Funny but whatever camera you research you`ll hear pro`s and cons about it. My main concern is the size.Im not into carrying around a suitcase full of gear.The pictures are excellent , and the lens exceptional.The few faults it has are minor compaired toall the features this camera gives you. Im not a pro. but have been interested in pfotography for years,and have tried various cameras. This one fits my needs. You have to find just how much you want out of a camera,and as you can see theres NO end to how much you can spend.
Maxx1676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:40 PM   #5

I don't own a Pro 1, but out of the 8MP bunch (KM A2, Nikon 8700, Olympus 8080, and Sony f828) it has got the lowest ratings.
Personally I would go with the Konica Minolta A2 or A200
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:06 PM   #6

4months ago I wrote a msg complaining aboutthe Pro1. After looking for other cameras to replace it I finnaly realized that as thetechnology is still being developed any choice will have its limitations andinstead of investing thousands of dollars in a DSLR I decided I had to learn to live with the Pro 1until I find it safe to go for a upgrade.

For the inacurate autofocus problem I learned that I have to always press the button a few times in order to be shure it's well focused.

When I want it to be really fast... well I just goMF. And I'll try the new firmware I just read about in this forum.

For the lens shading the best choice is to work with f8 whenever the subject is in front ofa plain bright back (white wall for instance) and if there is still some shading left (and there will be !) then photoshop will do the rest !

Now I can say the Pro 1 can be a good choice if you want a small camera and 8Mp. Ican even point out it DOES have some great features, as the 2" LCD - best among the 8Mp slrs (great quality and ability tobe flipped out from the body and twisted through 180 degrees).

The Rebel/300D may be a betterchoice in the same price levelif youdon't mind theweight/size. The 20D seems to be thebestbuy if you can spend some more bucks and the 1DS Mark II seems to be the BEST if you can afford it.
Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:57 PM   #7

OKthe new firmware 1.0.1 has just been installed in my Pro1. After a few tests it seems to have improved considerably the powerzoom speed and the aufotocus speed ! Now it's too late but tomorrow I'll keep on testing it.

UnfortunatelyCanon hasn't reviewed the instructions (pdf file,site andupdate software) to matchcamera dataand ZoomBrowser. The operation (update)becomesmore difficult than it should be.
Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote