Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:52 PM   #1

I have an olympus c-3040...I want to upgrade and I think the minolta a200 or the nikon 8800are my top choices.

my camera wish list starts with...the must haves: 5mp+, 200mm tel or more,WIRELESS remote, anti shake/Image stabilization, low light ability

depending upon who you read....some say the minolta willwork in low light others say no....and the nikon some say because at hasAF light it will work others say forget it, it just keeps hunting to focus...I dosome indoor very low light photography and that is important...my 3040 always worked in all conditions at 100iso...even in almost total darkness...I took a pic of a cat in the dark in my driveway and it focused and the flash worked....am I in for a let down with either of these cameras....or do I just have to set them at 200iso...center of frame spot focus and they will snap? I have to confess when I saw someone using a nikon 995 (I think that was the model...it was the 4mp with the double body that swiveled)in low room light it would eventually focus afterconsiderable motor noise and the lens hunting....I could have taken 3 shots with my 3040 in that time.

Oh, yes I would love the digital rebel...but that's pushing my budget when I can get the a200 for $650-799

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts, thanks

and...Hi Steve.....

Gregg

New Port Richey, FL

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:58 AM   #2

gregg wrote:
Quote:
I have an olympus c-3040...I want to upgrade and I think the minolta a200 or the nikon 8800are my top choices
Quote:
I dosome indoor very low light photography and that is important...my 3040 always worked in all conditions at 100iso...even in almost total darkness
From what I've read about these cameras, the A200 works better at low light than the CP8800 BUT in near darkness AND CLOSE TO SUBJECT, as the CP8800 assist range is limited, the CP8800 wins.

I've just bought the A200 aware of the above but if I'm honest, I'd say that I'm a tad disappointed with it's indoor low light performance.

If indoor low light work is important, stay away from both and go dSRL.

That said here's a shot taken indoors with low light

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:10 PM   #3

Hi there, i think that Steve has alredy answered this in his conclusion about the A200:
"Overall its autofocus system outperformed the Nikon Coolpix 8800 in dim ambient light, even though the 8800 is equipped with a focus-assist lamp. But in conditions of near darkness, the Nikon 8800's focus-assist lamp gave it the edge"
Vemund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:13 PM   #4

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
gregg wrote:
Quote:
I have an olympus c-3040...I want to upgrade and I think the minolta a200 or the nikon 8800 are my top choices
Quote:
I do some indoor very low light photography and that is important...my 3040 always worked in all conditions at 100iso...even in almost total darkness
From what I've read about these cameras, the A200 works better at low light than the CP8800 BUT in near darkness AND CLOSE TO SUBJECT, as the CP8800 assist range is limited, the CP8800 wins.

I've just bought the A200 aware of the above but if I'm honest, I'd say that I'm a tad disappointed with it's indoor low light performance.

If indoor low light work is important, stay away from both and go dSRL.

That said here's a shot taken indoors with low light
And this is the same picture but now a little bit post-processed with PhotoShop CS (the trick with two time use of Unsharp Mask an at last the use of the *Fade*-option)
This is what of the A200 is capable of !!!!

-=Rob
Attached Images

**RobX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:38 PM   #5

that doesn't exactly help much..."dim" vs "near darkness" is close and quite subjective

I suppose if the outlines are hard to make out in near total darkness the coolpix will find it with the AF...I think that's the interpretation

the bottom line for me is if they are that close the ....200+ diff in price has to make one gravitate toward the a200

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote