Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1

I have looked at quite a few cameras, and have pretty much narrowed down my decision between the Nikon 8700 and the Panasonic FZ20.

I had almost made up my mind on the Panasonic camera, but then a deal became available on the Nikon where I can now get it for the same price as the Panasonic. I hadn't really considered the 8MP prosumer cameras previously because they were all quite a bit more expensive than the FZ20, but now that I can get the 8700 for the same price, I'm wondering which one would be better.

I realize the 8700 is a bit older model and has been replaced by the 8800 with a bigger zoom lens and VR stabilization, but that 8800 is still about $300 higher in price than the 8700. I was asking a local vendor for his opinion, and he said the newer features on the 8800 were quite nice, but not really worth that much extra money.

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding how the Nikon 8700 and the Panasonic FZ20 compare? Is the image stabilization and the Leica lens worth sacrificing the Nikon metering and extra 3MP?

Thanks...
nbuxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:35 PM   #2

I own the 8700 and am very pleased with it; you might try using a tripod to stabilize your shots - cheaper than paying $300 for 8800. I also wanted 8800, but am going to use 8700 (wedding and portrait photography) to save up for a TRUE DSLR in the future. I know I'm not being very technical with this answer, but for me, the 8700 is just fine. There are many auto modes andtwo user-programmed modes, but if you've done your research you know this. Good luck.

It doesn't matter when u buy a camera...as soon as you save up and get the one you want - it's been upgraded. Just go for it.
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I would really like the image stabilization that the 8800 has, but I'm not sure the extra $300 is worth it. Like you said, a tripod is quite a bit cheaper. I'm glad to hear from someone that uses the 8700 and is happy with it.

Everything I hear about the Panasonic FZ20K is great, except that the CCD is somewhat small and susceptible to noise. Does anybody use it for high end pictures and have problems with the noise? Is the FZ20's noise really THAT big of a problem?

If there was a 7MP version of the FZ20K that was using the same Sony 7MP sensor that everybody else seems to be using, along with that killer 12X Leica lens, I would probably go that way. The reviews that cameras like the Canon G6 are getting indicate the 7MP sensor is pretty good when it comes to image quality and low noise. If only the G6 had a longer, stabilized lens.

Yikes...a person can go nuts reading all these reviews and trying to decipher what is really the best way to go.

:?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:48 PM   #4

Hi, I just saw the question that you posted, I am also in the same situation. I thought that I was getting the FZ20 for sure, now I am torn between it and the Nikon 8700 for the same price.

the more that I read the more confused that I become......

I was wondering if you made a decission, and if so, are you happy with it?

thanks
lawsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:33 AM   #5

I did make a decision, and that was to wait a couple of months and see what else may come out at PMA. I have 2 SLR cameras and a 2MP Canon A40 already, so I'm not in desperate need of a new camera right away.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:36 AM   #6

lawsons wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I just saw the question that you posted, I am also in the same situation. I thought that I was getting the FZ20 for sure, now I am torn between it and the Nikon 8700 for the same price.

the more that I read the more confused that I become......

thanks
It may prove helpful to read the forums for the name brands and see what actual users are doing. I have the FZ20 and couldn't be happier with it. Agreed at the higher ISOs there's some noise but this is going to be an issue with any digital. Here are a few that I've done recently..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/jjmel/

The flag pics are shot At night (midnight), only with the spotlights that were shining on it. The flag itself is at least 8 feet tall. Manual focus was used. Slight autolevel adjustment in photoshop and then resized (100% crops). That's it, no noise reduction software was used on any of these photos. Pictures that were heavily modified, it's obvious that they was changed.

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:00 AM   #7

If you can get the Nikon 8700 for the same price as panasonic FZ20, I would go with the 8700. It doesn't have image stabilization and the zoom but it is a higher-end camera. It should be better than FZ20 for nearly everything else.

If you want to save a couple of hundread on the older models (or if you want to pay a few more dollars for the newer models), you may want to wait a few months. New models are being announced and this will drive down the price of older models, while new more expensive ones take their place.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:52 PM   #8

Why dont you wait next month for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote