Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:07 AM   #1

Hi..

I have narrowed down to these two. Can anybody advice which is better?

Both have similiar capabilities.

Regards,

Rajesh
rajeshkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:13 AM   #2

Searched the forum and was glad when I received a hit with exactly the decision I hadreached cross-roadsat! And then came the bad news that the topic received No replies

Could someone out here with all their expertise put in a word or two in favour of either of the 2 cameras? My research brought me to these two primarily because of the AA batteries they use. I've always been a fan of Fuji stuff and hence the direction in which I looked.

The Fuji has 6MP and 4X Optical Zoom as against the Sony which has 5MP and 3X and would normally be preferred without a thought. However, I've got the Fuji 2800 (yeah, a lil old), and hence no for sure that Fujis generally have a weak View Finder and LCD in areas with less light. Don't know if this has been improved upon since, but yeah, its a lil bugging not to see what you are taking and then just see the final result. The result is good, its just that one does not know what is being shot until captured!

Any advises will be really appreciated.

Cheers
Paparasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:27 AM   #3

What was the decision that you both made ?

I have also come down to these 2 (the W5 v E550).

I'm leaning towards the Sony as I will be taking photos of childrenand indoors it has AF Ill which should help in low light
croquet man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:30 PM   #4

Hi,

My reason for not going after the E550 is it's 0.9 sec shutter lag (0.3 on W5) and a low grade for image noise on auto iso, which I find important since my camera will mainly be used for point-and-shoot fotography.

These info can be found here:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...era-Review.htm
GoGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:02 PM   #5

The one point which should make the difference here is that the Fuji has poor low light capabilities... Not only does it lack an AF assist lamp, but it can't do long exposures. Its ISO800 possibility is nice but hard to use considering its weaknesses. The Sony on the other hand excels in low light situation and can do up to 30s exposures!

On the other hand, the Fuji has a much more interesting lens range, from 32.5 to 130mm, its better at wide angle as well as telephoto than the Sony.

As for the difference between 6mp and 5mp, its small, if not unexistant in practice. I wouldn't advise to use 12mp mode either... but that is just me.

With all that being said, I hesitated with the W1 and went for the A95(not part of your choices)... so I hope you get something you'll like... For my part, I love my A95, here is a gallery: http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:19 PM   #6

Nicholas,

Thanks for the link to your pictures, they're very good. It should convince me into buying a Canon A95. Are you satisfied with this camera or do you have second thoughts?

I held both the Sony DSC W5 and the Canon Powershot A95 in my hand today and I was really thrilled about the Sony. It was fast, accurate and showed almost no shutter lag. When I picked up the Canon, it hit me that focussing was slow(er), the shutter lag annoying and the smaller LCD mad me sad. But comparison charts on another site forces me to choose for the Canon Powershot A95 since image quality is better. But in another review I read that noise on manual iso is 3.55 out of 10 where the Sony scores a 8.28. Very frustrating.... :shock:

If you have advise for my search then I would appreciate this!
GoGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:30 AM   #7

I made my decision and went for the Sony W5. So far am very happy with the quality of the photos. Excellent in low light and indoors. Start up and shutter lag are almost non existent.

A good camera for someone wanting a point and shoot with a few manual features they can play with.

The photos I have taken of the kids are also great. Focuses very quickly and accurately. Good exposure when the light is at the side or even in front.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:50 AM   #8

If cost is also one of your factors in choosing your camera, consider the fact that Memory stick(Pro) used by Sony W1 and W5 series are much more expensive than the XD cards used by Fuji. XD is also more expensive than the other SD and CF media. One factor that really I was bothered about when choosing my camera recently. This is something, because a 512 MB Memory stick Pro is almost or rather close to half the price of the camera!

Dont know if you have already seen it but may be could take a look at Canon Powershot A95. Again uses AA batteries and well CF cards. Lot of options at various price ranges but again cheaper compared to Memory sticks!

pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:26 AM   #9

Of course depends on where you are but the Sandisk range of memory sticks are a lot cheaper that the Sony branded ones. To give you an idea I paid the equivalent of about US$75 for 512 Mb. This was for Pro but not duo.

This was in Singapore so no idea how much it is in other parts of the world.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:33 AM   #10

was checking out the prices here (Stuttgart, Germany)- Memory stick pro 512 was around 90 Euros

Sandisk 1 GB SD was around 80 Euros and the 512 MB (CF Card )was55 Euros. 512 MB SD was close to 50 Euros. Makes a lot of difference I should say.. Kingston 512 MB was 45 Euros ( Compact Flash)

pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote