Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:20 AM   #1

Hi,

I am looking for a new digital camera. One of the important features for me is a 0.00 seconds lag time or whatever is closest to that, in a non-SLR digital camera, in the approx. under $700 price range. Other features are 5 or more MP, high X optical zoom, excellent macro, accepts wide angle add-on lens, and video mode (preferably mpeg4). I would consider spending a little more if the camera is worth it (has all the features that I'm looking for).

Thanks.
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:39 AM   #2

When you ask the camera to perform auto-focus; auto-exposure; red-eye reduction and pre-exposure flash, this all contributes to lag time. You can imporve lag time by taking those jobs away from the camera. This is why disposable film cameras have zero lag time...they don't have to do anything except fire the shutter.

With a digital, you can simply press the shutter button and let the camera do all the work and you will get the longest lag time. This is generally referred to as full AF lag time. Generally, the camera can focus faster at wide angle than at telephoto (because of distance and camera movement etc) so you can reduce focus time by pre-focusing which is usually done by half-pressing the shutter button until focus locks and then taking the shot when ready.

For example, the Sony V3 is known as a very fast camera.

The FUll AF lag for the V3 is 0.28 sec but the prefocus lag is a blazing 0.011 sec

You can read the other V3 specs on several review sites..including here.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3

The V3 is a very fast camera, but if you want to go the smaller route, the W1 sounds like it would do you very well. As far as I know, it is one of the fastest and most responsive of the ultra-compacts. It accepts an add on wide angle lens, but when you use the add on, you also need to use a slave flash, otherwise you can get this odd shadow thing. Regardless, it's a great camera, and I would highly recommend it.

Best of luck with your search!~Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4

Thank you Meryl and Jack for your info. I like the V3, though I was looking for a little more in an optical zoom. The V3 does allow an add on 1.7X Tele-Converter and that creates the range that I was looking for.

Brock
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:53 PM   #5

I don't have any experience of it, but the Ricoh R1v might be worth a look: claimed 0.05 to 0.1 sec shutter lag including autofocus, which is quite exceptional; 28-135mm 4.8x optical zoom; 5MP; 320x240 video at 30 fps. It's an ultra-compact. One thing that puts me off Ricohs is that I've heard reports of mechanical unreliability with some models. Maybe visit the Ricoh forum here and get some opinions.

Hope this helps,

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:09 PM   #6

bpalmer wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Meryl and Jack for your info. I like the V3, though I was looking for a little more in an optical zoom. The V3 does allow an add on 1.7X Tele-Converter and that creates the range that I was looking for.

Brock
Hi, Just another point, I have the Kyocera M410r 10x zoom.

According to Steve's review it has a shutter lag of 0.07secs.

I think he tested it and got less than 1sec for prefocus shots and 0.4secs with autofocus so not too slow.

If you look at the Kyocera forum in the POST PICS topic there are lots of macro
shots some with the aux lenses fitted.

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:39 PM   #7

Thanks so much Dave and Ian. As I research each of the cameras that you have mentioned, the Ricoh R14 and the Kyocera M410R and find that each has certain features that are different from what I am looking for, (prefer a 2" LCD and a 5.0 or greater MP) I find that the lasting and meaningful part of this research experience, is the cheerful response and contact than I have received from each person replying to my post within this forum.

I am still looking for the "just right" camera, and I am not in very much of a hurrry. I am thinking that I would like to have found what I have in mind by June, since I am planning a documentary trip during the summer to the town in which I grew up.

My current camera, an Olympus C-2000 Z, a 2.1 MP with 3X optical is more than 5 years old. One of 1st photos with this camera included here.

Brock
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:48 PM   #8

Nice shot,

Is 5mp that important? do you plan to crop alot of the picture?

The advantage of having a bigger zoom is that you should be able to get into the shot so you don't have to crop as much.

Also the more MP's the more chance of noise, as they cram more MP's on the same size sensor.

Just another point to ponder on.

I had the same problem when I bought mine at the end of Dec 2004 so not that long ago.

As a matter of interest this link shows the CCD sizes it's quite amazing when you see the difference between a compact and a Dslr!

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...r_Sizes_01.htm

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:09 PM   #9

Thanks Ian,

I checked out the link. Since I obtained a technical education in photography from Rochester Institute of Technology before receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Philadelphia College of Art, after checking out the link you included, it is now clear to me how significant the CCD size is and the difference beteen the CCd of a digital SLR and a digital compact. I now will re-think my direction and look at digital SLR's. Thank you so much for this very, very small, but important (pun intended) bit of information.

Brock
Attached Images