Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:10 PM   #1

looking for a digital camera for wife. desire:

..AA battery power source

..covered lens (expect to carry jumbled in purse)

..3+ megapixels

..3+ optical zoom

SD/MMC memory would be nice

Does anything out there meet those requirements?

shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:43 PM   #2

Take a look at the Canon A series cameras. They run on AA batteries, the lens retracts beck into the cam and auto covers. I think the A75 is 3MP, A85 is 4MP and A95 is 5MP. I got the A85 for my wife and she really enjoys it. Fits well in her purse.

The only problem is they run on Compact Flash. I think the Canon digital elph series cams run on MMC or SD. Not sure on that one though.

Hope this helps a bit.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:49 AM   #3

Ryan is right, the canon A series seems to be perfect for you. If you really want the A75-85-95, and want to use SD cards, you can always use a sort of converter. Or you can go for the A510 which is some sort of upgrade to the A75, it has 3mp, 4x optical zoom, uses SD cards, 2 AA batteries and has lots of manual fonctions(like the rest of the A series Cameras)
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:42 AM   #4

There are many camera with these specififcations. Practically every manufacturer has one or more model that meets your requirement.

Also consider Pentax Optio S40/S50, Casio QV-R40/50/61, Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and Ricoh Caplio R1/R1v. They each have their own strengths. For example, Ricoh's shutter delay is nearly nonexistent at only 0.1 second with full auto focus.

Edit: I got K-M Z series mixed up with the X series, disregard what I wrote about them.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:07 AM   #5

thanks - shu
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:27 PM   #6
blr

I'd also vote for Ricoh Caplio R1/R1v if manual exposure is not needed. The lens is protected under a slide lens cover that is thicker than the cobers on many ither digicams. It makes it a bit better protected inside e.g. a purse where things can push hard against the lens.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

It's a Fuji E550, $300.00 after mail-in-rebate, from Best Buy.

Wife is people person with wonderful talent in art, but not understanding of electrical-mechanical devices. A simple point-and-shoot camera, the fewer buttons and adjustments the better, would be indicated here except that she desire maximum detail and magnification when photographing subjects for her artwork.

When presented with the general reality that above 3 mpx and 3x optical cameras will be more challenging to master, she clearly expressed she would do whatever necessary to learn but pictures without sufficient detail were useless.

In this purchase it was highly desireable to select from in-stock items at local stores (CompUSA, SAMS, Best Buy, WalMart) rather than an internet buy sight-unseen based on specifications.

The Fuji E550 is (like my Panasonic FZ-20) a bit off the main-stream. However it has 6 mpx and 4x optical; smallish package of regular rectangular shape, with self-covering lens. Nothing to snag when pulling from purse, no lens cap to lose. Uses AA rechargeable.

Just about every in-stock model of greater resolution or magnification had more buttons and controls to learn. Fuji's design compromises seemed mostly to fit our needs. Fuji economized by putting an optical view-finder rather than evf; the rear screen is generous in size. Wife will be running this camera as a point-and-shoot, for which an optical view-finder is more appropriate. When she is ready to become mindful of exposure values and focus the large rear screen will be more easily interpreted than a smaller screen or evf.

There are a few things not to like, mostly the un-tethered port plug (yes, Fuji did it so the camera will nest into the optional dock, but the idea still stinks). However the E550 does seem near optimally suited to our niche.