Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:13 PM   #1

Now I now these two cameras don't compete on certain levels...but on others (such as price) they do. I've been trying to decide which one to choose and it's been compounded this week by the W1 going on sale in preparation of the new Sony cameras coming out his summer....

so here's my question, if you had to choose one...why would you do it. Now I know some are going to say I have to decide what I want the camera for...so I'll tell you that both have differnt features that I like and here they are:

W1: small form factor*
5MP
larger LCD screen

FZ3: 12x zoom*
more flexability with manual controls

* indicates the factors that I'm most stuck on...for anyone with the FZ3 do you find it too bulky to carry around in a case...I think the main plus for the W1 is that I could stick it in my pocket...the FZ3..no way.
djcunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

Well, no one replied...but that's ok...I bit the bullet today and purchased the W1...just waiting for it to charge now.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:04 PM   #3

djcunnin wrote:
Quote:
Well, no one replied...but that's ok...I bit the bullet today and purchased the W1...just waiting for it to charge now.
I'm no expert, but I had a few weeks experience with the DSC-W1. There are so many things to love about the camera: easily fits in your pocket, lots of controls, huge screen, lightning fast, AA batteries, long battery life. It was in many ways the perfect camera.

Unfortunately, I had a number of photos come out blurry. The night shots were definitely my fault. But I never could figure out why so many of my regular shots came out poorly. Then again, many other shots that I thought would come out bad were great (low light museum shots, in a moving car, etc.).

Anyways, good luck with the W1. Hope you figure it out better than I did.
fakemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:54 PM   #4

Did you mess around with the AF? I know with some settings if I didn't wait long enough with the button slightly depressed then some pictures look blurry???
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:54 AM   #5

too late for you now but what I would have said is...

If you want something small then the W1 is better... but if you want more power/control then the FZ3 is better...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote