Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2005, 2:36 PM   #1

Which option would you choose? Why?

Option A:
Nikon D70 with 18-70mm lens kit
(Already own a Nikon SB-600 Speedlight)
Nikon AF 50mm f1.8D
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM
Cost => $3400

Option B;
Nikon D70 with 18-70mm lens kit
(Already own a Nikon SB-600 Speedlight)
Nikon AF 50mm f1.8D
Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC
Cost => $2300

Option C:
Olympus E-300 with 14-45mm lens kit
Olympus FL-36
Olympus Zuiko 50mm f2.0
Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC
Cost => $3000

Option D:
Pentax *istDS with 18-55mm lens kit
Pentax AF360FGZ
Pentax SMCP-A 50mm f2.0
Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC
Cost => $2400

Option E:
Canon 20D with 18-55mm lens kit
Canon 420EX
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC
Cost => $3400

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:05 PM   #2

I think the choice is quite clear, for me anyhow, it's the ist-ds. After reading all the reveiws 5 times I think the ist-ds leaves the rest miles behind. ( those die hard canon-nikon followers will never see the light ) It's the right size, it's the right weight, it has all the features you will need ( it's not loaded down with menues and menues of useless features that you will never use and that will just get in your way ) It's the right price, it takes terrific pictures. And to top it all off Cameracanada has them on sale for $ 1196.80 w/18-55 lens and battery charger and card reader. CDN. WOW. I think thats just terrific. anyhow thats my opinion. Ken
Kenny E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:45 PM   #3

Tough decision. I would also go with the pentax followed by option b. With the extra 1000 you could go along ways with tripod memory etc. maybe even lens.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:14 AM   #4

20D or D70. First choice 20D then 2nd D70. The pentax has a lot going for it but it is lacking a few features that may be points of interest.

1) Continuous servo focus (unable to acheive w/o the AF detecting motion 1st)

2) Frame rate 2.8fps is anemic by todays standards.

3) Lens choices. Pentax has somne incredible old lenses but you would be hard pressed to find them these days even on ebay. Features like *sonic drive or image stabilized lenses require you to choose 3rd party lenses (sigma..)

4) Ergonomics... for me the camera is just a biit tooooo small. I appreciate a lightweight and small camera but once you start putting HEAVY glass on it ...... it becomes awkwardly unbalanced and lacks the real estate to get a firm confident hold.

I have owned the 300D, 10D, D70 and now my primary cam is the 20D. Is the 20D perfect? Nope but for any cam under 4K it is the best all around camera. The D70 is also a very capable camera however there are some issues I ran into w/shadow noise and overall features/accessories missing (pc sync, portrait grip, etc)

I strongly recomend the 20D. For the features, for the image qualitym, for the build quality, and for the overall $ to pixel and $ to frame rate ration you cant go wrong. Not that the Pentax is a slouch ... it is a very nice camera .. but i think you will find yourself painted in to a corner if you attempt any acttion/sports photography. Also equally limiting is the lack of OEM glass that is on par with what nikon and canon offer.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:15 AM   #5

If I did not own any previous equipment, out of your list I would pick either the Olympus, or one you did not list ,the Minolta

Both are very good cameras with excellent optics available.

These choices would then be followed by Canon and then Nikon.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:27 AM   #6
KSV

mrkryz wrote:
Quote:
1) Continuous servo focus (unable to acheive w/o the AF detecting motion 1st)

2) Frame rate 2.8fps is anemic by todays standards.

3) Lens choices. Pentax has somne incredible old lenses but you would be hard pressed to find them these days even on ebay. Features like *sonic drive or image stabilized lenses require you to choose 3rd party lenses (sigma..)

4) Ergonomics... for me the camera is just a biit tooooo small. I appreciate a lightweight and small camera but once you start putting HEAVY glass on it ...... it becomes awkwardly unbalanced and lacks the real estate to get a firm confident hold.
1. Works is "sport" mode

2. 20D really shines here,*BUT* for almost double price. D70 almost the same (3fps).

3. Come on! 31mm Pentax is stillunbeatable!

4. Sorry, but it is personal

My answer is *istDS as unbeatable value for money or D70 if one in sport shooting and need really fast AF

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:31 AM   #7

I must have been a fool to have chose the D-70 with its 1/500 flash sych
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:43 PM   #8

KSV wrote:
Quote:
1. Works is "sport" mode

2. 20D really shines here, *BUT* for almost double price. D70 almost the same (3fps).

3. Come on! 31mm Pentax is stillunbeatable!

4. Sorry, but it is personal

My answer is *istDS as unbeatable value for money or D70 if one in sport shooting and need really fast AF

Cheers
1 - *Sports Mode Only* - Unless I am wrong here you cant set aperature/ISO/shutter in Sports Mode - This is obviously something some dont care about but I do in fact need to be able set the shutter/aperature/ISO and Servo focus. Am I wrong or doest the Pentax auto select those three in sports mode?

2 - 3fps sustained for first 9 then contingent on card speed and image size.

3 - I agree , but Image stabilized lenses are few and far between not to mention the 24-70L, 70-200L, are w/o match and the $80 50mm 1.8 is hard to beat

4 - Absolutely personal preference, agreed. but with the bigger lenses you cant add real estate tto the body that doesnt exist to combat hand fatigue lol.

I am simply stating that in my *personal* taste the order is still 20D ($$ permitting) followed by the D70 (better metering and yes 1/500th sync is great... but then again any who takes this hobby seriously uses an external flash which most allow up to 1/1000th in high speed sync) Also add pc sync port, portrait grip, 8mp, and exceptional a/f system if with f2.8- lenses and the largest selection of OEM and 3rd party lenses.

The pentax is a nice camera and is getting great reviews for its class , but when you buy the bosy you are in bed with the manufacturer for some time once you add $$ for lenses and accessories. In the long haul pentax is considerably behind the competition in many areas. Not that it isnt a great camera in its own right but how much room for growth is there?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:24 PM   #9

I'm also very interested in this comparo, mainly the D70 or Pentax *isDS.

I take a lot of travelling photos so sometimes I might see something interesting looking out from the train or sporting action like motor racing or people playing basketball.

What would you guys recommend? I already have the Canon SD300 as the carry around camera, great for the party shots and just shooting around. A dSLR camera would be great for the special occasion or for special projects.

On a side note, I was seriously impressed with the Nikon 8600 and the LCD that it had, it was so responsive and nice to use. Are dSLR cameras like this?
Informer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:17 AM   #10

Informer,

The #1 point to consider is funding. Your budget virtually dictates all aspects of which cameras you consider. In comparison to the 8600 all dSLR's offer improved picture quality with the bonus of interchangeable lenses. The D70 is a great semi-inexpensive camera with great all around features fromn fast frame rates to exposure metering and a great kit lens. The lenses however are really what makes any dslr shine. and they are the majority of the associated cost.