Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:57 AM   #1

My husband uses a Sony Mavica FD71 to take shots of items we sell on eBay. It's a 10X optical zoom and the replacement he's looking is a Mavica FD200 but the optical zoom on this is 3X. Neither of us are very knowledgeable about cameras and the optical vs digital thing is confusing but isn't 3X less than 10X? And if so, why is the newer model's zoom less than the earlier model's?

Thanks.
richillgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2

Unless your old camera is broken I see no reason to replace it with a lower zoom camera if you plan to use the floppy disk. He seems dedicated to this floppy disk thing and you aren't going to get very good quality putting 20 pictures on a floppy disk no matter what. My suggestion would be to just stay with what you have. I think that is probably about the best camera made for a floppy disk. The FD200 will also take memory sticks so you can shoot at better quality, but there are hundreds of better cameras you can use to put images on standard memory – you don't need a floppy disk installed to do that.

The Pentax S5i is a tiny camera that will fit in an Altoids tin – literally. A single best quality JPG from that camera is 3.5Mb. A floppy holds less than 1.5Mb. You have to go down from there to get even a single best quality JPG to consistently fit on a floppy – usually down to 3Mp. I'm not suggesting the Pentax, just pointing out how limited a floppy disk is for storing images.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:58 PM   #3

Thanks Slipe.

Actually, our old camera is broken (I accidentally backed into it while it was on the tripod) and both of us like the floppys because I can work on the images in the photo shop while he shoots another item. Too many items on one disc takes too long and with the volume that we sell it gets confusing. I still don't understand why the new model is only a 3X while the earlier is 10x. Does anyone have an answer and does it really matter? I've often noticed that the image looks better once it's on eBay than when it's in the photo shop.
richillgal is offline   Reply With Quote